Change to 32 tooth cassette

craigus89
craigus89 Posts: 887
edited April 2017 in Workshop
Got a new bike for the Mrs end of last year which is a semi-compact and 28T rear cassette. She needs a bit at the high end so I'm just about to order a 32T cassette and long cage 6800 Ultegra rear derailleur.

Question is, will I need a longer chain too?

Thanks.

Comments

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Chances are you'd get away with the 32 tooth on a standard rear mech in most instances. Suggest you fit it and see - you might need an extra link if she is going to be cross-chaining from the 52 to the 32.

Assuming the chainset is 6800 as well you might try just changing the chain-rings to 50/34........
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    She doesn't make a habit of cross-chaining from what I've seen riding with her, might just get the cassette first and see how things look.

The crankset is a carbon FSA jobby which is actually bloody expensive and from what I've read quite light so hoping she can stick with it. Haven't been able to source any chain-rings though as that was my first thought.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I've just put a 32 cassette on a 105-10speed bike - swapped over the shortcage rear mech for a medium cage - wound up the screw and checked chain length - which is all ok.
    If you need extra chain then, assuming she hasn't over stretched the current one too much - it'll be fine just to add a couple of links off another chain which you've shortened using quicklinks ... well - that's what I did anyway :)
  • Slowbike wrote:
    I've just put a 32 cassette on a 105-10speed bike... all ok.

Do you also have a semi compact 52/36? I'm in the process of doing the same, but 11-speed as per the op (I presume) .. Seems uncommon!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I wouldn't risk the chain being too short, the damage it can do can be pretty expensive (new mech, new hanger, damaged frame (even if only paint) and some trashed spokes........at most it's a pair of links.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.