What is the worlds strongest rear road wheel set up?!

nimrodzap
nimrodzap Posts: 2
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
Hello.

I'm after some advice as to what combination anyone has any experience with using wheels for heavy riders. I weigh 120kg and I've had some great wheels built for me, but for some reason I'm having 2 problems....

1 - On my road bike my rear wheels consists of a Mavic open pro rim, 36 DT swiss champion spokes and an ultegra hub.... Can't stop breaking spokes.

2 - on my commuter bike its a similer set up but with a 105 hub - twice now I have bust the freehub body.

My only conclusion is that I'm too heavy for the wheels.... even before the spoke goes i cant get about 50 miles out of the road wheel until it needs truing.

Has anyone had any experience with setting up a rear wheel for someone of my weight?

Thanks

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Something like this would suit. A wider stiffer rim would mean less flexing of spokes which is what fatigues them. You could also consider changing your wheel builder.

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collection ... disc-brake
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    I agree with what Mercia Man has suggested - change your wheel builder.

Until the last two months I was the same weight as you on Mavic Open Pro's with Dura Ace hubs, can't remember what the spokes were. I too was having a nightmare with them flexing too much and causing all sorts of problems that shouldn't have occurred on a build of that supposed quality. Took them back to the same wheel builder to sort out three times before giving up and taking to my lbs with whom I have a good relationship.

He re-built them with slightly shorter sapim spokes and brass nipples - night and day difference. I've done about 500 miles on them in the last few months and, touch wood, not a single issue.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Would c/x wheels fit the bill?

I imagine they are stronger than normal road wheels but still have capacity to run semi thin tyres .......
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • froze
    froze Posts: 213
    i think the strongest wheel set on the market is the Ryde Andra 30 which is made for very heavy touring and or a heavy rider, it does weigh more than most rims but you asked for the strongest with no indication of maximum weight, but these rims can easily handle your weight. IF you decide this is the rim for you I would build it with DT Alpine III spokes, and use brass nipples with a 3 cross lace setup. If you get a good builder I seriously doubt you'll break them. Also this rim uses a thicker brake section on the rim which makes the rim sidewall last a lot longer which is going to be important for the wear on the rim and the amount of braking required to stop your weight.
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    I've been at least that heavy, and my view is that it's all about 2 factors:
    - the professionalism of the build. I raced at nearly 100kg with 28 spoke wheels ( built for another rider for a world championship). Never needed touching!
    - riding smoothly, which is in any case the most efficient. I see some riders attacking the bike and aggressively throwing it around in massive gears. This not only wastes effort, but also breaks wheels.