Press fit bottom brackets

kirby700
kirby700 Posts: 458
edited April 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm just about to buy a new bike but its got a Press fit bottom bracket, never had one before, are they as bad as some people make out? and would it make you rethink your purchase as the two bikes that are in the lead one has press fit but fantastic components and reviews whereas one has mediocre forks good reviews and threaded BB
GIANT XTC 2.5
BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA

Comments

• FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I avoided buying a boardman a few years ago because of the reviews commenting that the PF BB were short lived. In saying that there are pleanty of bearing options other than the branded versions and as that is the (well one of the and I guess the main) mode of failure then any problems can be rectified. Later on Boarman had cleared the problem and I bought the bike and I've had no problems.

So on balance I would discount the BB issue.

You should also be aware that nuclear submarines have pf bearings.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I wouldn't discount a nicely-specced bike because of a PF BB.
    Mine lasted over a thousand miles before it started creaking. Just do as I have done and replace it with a screw together after market BB when needed.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Just as JBA has mentioned swap the press fit bb for a praxis works or wheels manufacturing bb that screws together when you tighten the cups up.
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    Excellent I didn't realise such things existed.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I've found Shimano press fit and SRAM internal GXP as commonly used on MTBs to be very reliable actually. The BB30 or PF30 standard as common on road bikes is dreadful.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    kirby700 wrote:
    Excellent I didn't realise such things existed.

I have had one of THESE fitted. The bearings are replaceable so easy future maintenance.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have a press-fit Shimano BB86 on my carbon road bike and it's been silent and smooth for coming up to 4 years. That involves bearings in plastic cups pressed into a carbon BB shell.

I'd think twice about a BB30 setup with bearings pressed directly into a metal BB shell. More scope for creaking if manufacturing tolerances aren't spot on, although it seems some silence them using Loctite or similar, while others run BB30 for years without a problem.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    keef66 wrote:
    I have a press-fit Shimano BB86 on my carbon road bike and it's been silent and smooth for coming up to 4 years. That involves bearings in plastic cups pressed into a carbon BB shell.

I too have a press-fit BB86 in my Scott Foil, the first BB did approx 6000 miles without incident and the current one's been in for 2500 with no squeaks.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'