Advice pls - for my first wheel upgrade

molokoid
molokoid Posts: 3
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I've got a Verenti Di2 Revelation (think it's a rebadged Ridley frame) which i've had and loved for about 4 years now and the wheels it came with / currently on it are Fulcrum Racing 7's.

I'm not unhappy with the set-up, i'd just like to spend some money (thinking a budget of £500) to see what difference to ride quality it would make. I'm not a massively frequent rider, it's once a fortnight and for 50km or so a time. But always aspire to more (easier now kids are getting older!).

I'm unsure where to start with choosing some wheels. I've assumed that weight shouldn't be much of an issue given i'm currently 90Kg (have been 95Kg and hopefully heading further downwards), but would like something 'different' to that of the Fulcrum's.

Aware lots of the posts here talk of custom builds, although that surely increases the options for a newb wheel buyer such as myself?!

Any advice appreciated.

TIA

Comments

• At 90 kg., handbuilts would be a good option - you could get a decent set of wheels for a good bit less than your £500 budget. So you could upgrade tyres too.
    Have a look at the handbuilt wheels thread above for inspiration.

I'd be thinking H+ SON Archrtypes and a Miche hub as a starting point with 28F & 32R.
    There are a couple of wheelbuilders on this forum who could assist.

There may be other rims and hubs available too - there's a new Open PRO coming out.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    You could do worse than checking out the offerings at Cycleclinic. Malcolm the owner is a regular contributor and well respected.

His H Plus Son/ Miche hub wheels would be one option as they are designed for the "heavier" rider. Well within your budget too at £313 for a 28f/32R spoke configuration

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collection ... lset-black

I have a set of these that I have been riding for the past 10 months and can't fault them

EDIT:- @whatnoshoeseh - must have been reading my mind as I was composing my post - Snap!!
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    As above swop out the archetype rims for Kinlin (XR22T or XR31T)

You could get away with a 24F/28R combo fairly easily.

Miche hubs are very durable and good for all weathers.
  • molokoid
    molokoid Posts: 3
    Thanks for the replies, will start to tackle that thread with your recommendations ringing in my ears. One further question, does anyone have an opinion on those wheels i have and what scale of difference i'd get with some custom makes?

TIA
  • letap73 wrote:
    As above swop out the archetype rims for Kinlin (XR22T or XR31T)

You could get away with a 24F/28R combo fairly easily.

Miche hubs are very durable and good for all weathers.

I believe cycle clinic offers these as a standard build - the Borg 22 and Borg 31 wheel sets??

As regards the Fulcrum 7's I have no experience of them. I was in the market recently for a cheap set of wheels and ended up buying Mavic Aksiums which were in the same price range as the 7's. Reasonably pleased with them, and I'd think the Fulcrums would be similar.

If I were in the market for a set of wheels for the good bike (currently running Ksyrium Elites) I'd be looking at the Borg 22 and 31 closely.