Ridley Fenix SL or Merida Scultura

fat_tail
fat_tail Posts: 786
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
Looking for an n+1 and have sort of settled on a Ridley Fenix SL or Merida Scultura... I know, I know... buy the one you like the most etc etc :D

But, I would appreciate any input that people here have with either frames/bikes... the ridley comes with a 105 mix and the scultura with an ultegra mix... the ridley tugs at my heart, the scultura says you get a better groupset and perhaps better bike for a not great deal more...

thanks
Ridley Fenix SL

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    fat_tail wrote:
    Looking for an n+1 and have sort of settled on a Ridley Fenix SL or Merida Scultura... I know, I know... buy the one you like the most etc etc :D

But, I would appreciate any input that people here have with either frames/bikes... the ridley comes with a 105 mix and the scultura with an ultegra mix... the ridley tugs at my heart, the scultura says you get a better groupset and perhaps better bike for a not great deal more...

thanks

Depends what riding you want to do with your n+1

Not ridden either of these bikes but reviews suggest that the Ridley is not the most comfortable ride if you are planning long rides/sportives.

On balance the Merida appears to win out in the comfort stakes but it's all down to what you want from your new purchase.
  • fat_tail
    arlowood wrote:
    fat_tail wrote:

thanks

Depends what riding you want to do with your n+1

Not ridden either of these bikes but reviews suggest that the Ridley is not the most comfortable ride if you are planning long rides/sportives.

On balance the Merida appears to win out in the comfort stakes but it's all down to what you want from your new purchase.

thanks - the Ridley also allows up to 28mm tyres whereas the Merida is max 25mm or so I am led to believe. tbh most of the rides are commuting to work with less than 10% being longish rides... actually this a replacement for my current n (n=1) ...
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    The Merida. I own a Reacto as my main bike and a Ride as my winter trainer/turbo bike and both are excellent quality. I can 25mm on the Reacto and the Ride will take 28mm. The Scultura is similar dimensions around the seat and chain stays, so I can't see it not taking 28mm tyres. The Reacto won't simply because of the stupid rear brake under the bottom bracket.

The Scultura would have been a bike I'd have had but couldn't get it in my size.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • fat_tail
    thanks - can you shed some light on the sizing that Merida use ?
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    fat_tail wrote:
    thanks - can you shed some light on the sizing that Merida use ?

Merida are pretty good with their sizing if you look at the chart. If I'm between frame sizes, I go for the smaller frame. Where the dealerships here in the UK have difficulties is in ordering stock. As explained to me, retailers have to pre-order their stock and gamble on the sizing. For me, that meant that I couldn't get a 47cm Reacto here in the UK. But, I did manage to source one from France for less money as they can order single items if they have a customer for one. I couldn't find a Scultura for love nor money. The Ride was available in all sizes.

http://www.mbike.ru/image/data/merida20 ... merida.jpg
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • guevarca
    guevarca Posts: 36
    On the flip side, I do love my Fenix SL - easily fits 28mm tyres and a friend has even fitted 30mm Challenge tyres in his. Just back from riding in Flanders on mine and really like how it rides as an all-rounder, good enough for Pros to ride the same frame and something a little different too.
  • fat_tail
    guevarca wrote:
    On the flip side, I do love my Fenix SL - easily fits 28mm tyres and a friend has even fitted 30mm Challenge tyres in his. Just back from riding in Flanders on mine and really like how it rides as an all-rounder, good enough for Pros to ride the same frame and something a little different too.

thanks - very useful. Any comment on the sizing... from the geometry it looks like I should go for a "SMALL" even though I usually ride a 54cm bike !
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • guevarca
    guevarca Posts: 36
    Same as me. I would ride a med/54 from any other brands so ride a SM Fenix SL