28mm tyre help needed

VamP
VamP Posts: 674
edited April 2017 in Workshop
Schwalbe One on wide rims just doesn't clear the rear brake bridge. By a smidgin. What 28 mm options come up smaller than the One?

Thanks for your help in advance :)

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Not sure if this is the kind of tyre you want, but something like a Rubino Pro or Conti GP4K in 25 may well come up pretty wide on a wide rim, possibly just short of 28. Trouble is, you won't know until you try...
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    VamP wrote:
    Schwalbe One on wide rims just doesn't clear the rear brake bridge. By a smidgin. What 28 mm options come up smaller than the One?

Thinking a bit laterally why not consider the Michelin Pro 4 series.

From info on here it appears the the 25mm size comes up larger at about 27mm. Might be worth trying the Pro4 Endurance 25mm and see how they go.
  • VamP
    Indeed.

What I really wanted were the Pave's in 27mm, but can't find them any more.
  • VamP
    arlowood wrote:
    VamP wrote:

Thinking a bit laterally why not consider the Michelin Pro 4 series.

From info on here it appears the the 25mm size comes up larger at about 27mm. Might be worth trying the Pro4 Endurance 25mm and see how they go.

Pro 4 - yes I heard that about the 25mm. They are going on the list.
  • Nick Payne
    Nick Payne Posts: 288
    I had this problem on one bike where there was minimal interference between the tyre and the underside of the brake arch. I fixed it by tearing strips of emery paper a couple of cm wide, putting the strip on the tyre, and rotating the strip back and forth underneath the brake until I had removed enough material (about a millimetre) from the underside of the brake arms for them to clear the tyre.

Another alternative would be to look for a different brake caliper. If you have the money, the Cane Creek eebrake is supposed to offer additional clearance compared to normal dual-pivot rim brakes: https://www.canecreek.com/products/brakes-levers/eebrakes
  • VamP
    Good tips both, thank you.