Frame size for 172cm rider...

phospho123
phospho123 Posts: 32
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
Well, I may have made a mistake. I bought a bike online which is a 54cm trek thinking it would be fine. I went to a bike shop today to buy some parts and just wanted to check frame sizing, the guy basically said that he recommends I ride a 52 as I'll be in a more aggressive positions and bikes are in general meant to be ridden like that. I've ridden a 54 before, an old raleigh with racing geometry and that was absolutely fine but I am second guessing now! Should I cancel the order and go for a 52 or give it a try anyway? I tried a 54 in store which was a raleigh (I just stood over it) and I was just about to stand over it with say an half an inch space to my crotch. My inseam is 31 inches with shoes

Comments

• Sounds like you are between sizes. A smaller size could give you a more aggressive position, all depends on the frame geometry. A larger frame could ride like a plank of wood.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    Im 173cm and riding a 53cm ribble carbon sportive, although it depends on the make, as i rode a giant defy M/L 56cm top tube and it was just too big. The only issue was that despite running a straight seat post and saddle fully forward i couldn't get the ball of my foot under my knee.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    173cm and have ridden a fair few 54's. Trek madone and a previous generation domane. No issues with comfort what so ever. I had one 54, genesis cdf that was a tad too big, smaller stem made it ok.
    As I've got older I prefer a 52. Have a 52 Emonda (110 mm stem) and a 52 Domane with a 100mm stem.
    My Emonda is my racing bike and is the Trek H1 fit hence the longer stem.
    I think you would be better of getting the 52.
  • I'm the same height and I'm comfortable on a variety of 54cm frames - a Focus Variado, a Cannondale Synapse disc and a Cervelo R3. The last was recommended after a bike fit where it was initially assumed I'd be needing a 52cm frame. Replaced the 110mm stem on the Variado with a 100mm one but I was a big unit back then. With less belly in the way the 2 other bikes are fine with 110mm stems, no flipping or anything required. All have compact bars and a decent saddle/bar drop. So, it depends. Try it and see.