Upgrade from Fulcrum Racing 3

shooter999
shooter999 Posts: 143
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi everyone,

I'm currently using the above wheels on my bike with conti gp 4000, and was just pondering whether or not to replace them. My bike has 10 speed Di2 with rim brakes.

Can you recommend the next tier of wheels up, where I would see a noticeable difference? I can then see how much the "upgrade" will cost me.

Thanks for all replies.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    What do you want the new wheels to do? More aero, stiffer, lower weight?
  • shooter999
    whyamihere wrote:
    What do you want the new wheels to do? More aero, stiffer, lower weight?

Don't really know!!

I'm assuming more aero will provide greater speed on flattish roads, but will that mean that they won't be as good for climbing? What does added stiffness provide?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Stick with what you've got. They're good wheels.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    IF you really want to upgrade then I would recommend some handbuilts from Wheelsmith. I've just purchased a set of his Aero Dimpled on Dura Ace hubs. They are superb.

They climb as well as my Cero AR30's but where they really come in to their own on is on the flat. They have helped me hold a more intense speed and also feel faster when descending. Braking is as good as alloy in the dry (not ridden wet yet). One surprising improvement I have noticed is the much smoother ride I now get on these. They seem to help eliminate some of the road buzz that you get and I certainly feel fresher after long rides than I used to.

They cost me £1,100, but it has been a worthy upgrade so far in my opinion.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I would say that all of that extra smoothness experienced was due to rim width. The Ceros are probably the narrowest wheelsets on the market and manage to make Mavic Open Pros look cutting edge. Going from 13.5mm internal to 17mm will give a much improved ride in terms of handling, comfort and (perhaps) a very little boost in aero.
  • shooter999
    Thanks for all replies.

keep the recommendations coming.
  • Aren't Fulcrum 3 the same wheels as Campagnolo Zonda's? I always was told they are some of the best all round wheels you can buy. Never owned either but I have heard plenty rave about them.
  • dstev55
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I would say that all of that extra smoothness experienced was due to rim width. The Ceros are probably the narrowest wheelsets on the market and manage to make Mavic Open Pros look cutting edge. Going from 13.5mm internal to 17mm will give a much improved ride in terms of handling, comfort and (perhaps) a very little boost in aero.

Maybe but I've had other alloy wheels on that particular bike that were wider than the Cero's and there was no differance in ride quality.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I went from Zondas (effectively the same wheel as the Fulcrum 3) to the Fulcrum Quattro Carbon. Theyre faster, smoother, about the same stiffness according to my stiffometer but look 100 times better. Braking in the dry and wet is comparable to the alloy Zondas too.
  • shooter999
    Hi All,

I got in touch with Wheelsmith and was recommended the Race 30.

Does anyone have any views on these wheels and also how they compare to the Fulcrum 3's?

Thanks
  • Vslowpace
    Vslowpace Posts: 189
    I'd imagine unless you were riding them back to back you wouldn't notice any difference. If you did it would be very small.

I would be running my Zondas into the ground before looking at new wheels
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    dstev55 wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Maybe but I've had other alloy wheels on that particular bike that were wider than the Cero's and there was no differance in ride quality.

Carbon fibre has intrinsic properties that dampen noise, vibration and harshness, so yes the material does help to eliminate some of the road buzz.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • dstev55
    Shooter999 wrote:
    Hi All,

I got in touch with Wheelsmith and was recommended the Race 30.

Does anyone have any views on these wheels and also how they compare to the Fulcrum 3's?

Thanks

Can't see them being THAT much better. Seriously, if you want a whole different feel then go carbon and go deeper.