Spray Job Advice

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited April 2017 in Workshop
Ok so my single speed road bike had a load of paint chips and scrapes etc and given that its 4130 Steel I wanted to repaint it to stop it rusting. I did the spray job outside in the sunshine this weekend. All the paint was from the same brand.

I stripped the bike down to the frame, gave the old surface a good key and flattened off all the bumps and I also removed the old decals etc. Pre paint wipe down then 2 coats of primer (15 mins between coats) then several thin layers of top coat (10 mins between each coat) followed by a couple of coats of satin sealer - The sealer states "water proof your project with our UV stable sealer" suggesting its meant for outdoor stuff like bikes - The can even has a picture of a bike on it.

I left the frame hanging on the washing line for 2 days in the sunshine bringing it in at night so it has been drying for over 48 hours now of which about 24 of those where in warm sunny weather with a decent breeze in the air.

The paint is dry to the touch and the finish is good my only concern is how long before I can safely use it in the wet ? I tested a few drops of water on the frame and left them on for 30 mins after which a piece of tissue removed the water without any marks being left etc so I am thinking it should be fine but just wanted some advice on anyone else who has experience of spray painting frames.

I know the paint will be soft for a few weeks as is the way with rattle can paint but as long as it can resist a bit of weather

Unfortunately at the moment I do not have the luxury of a 2nd bike to use - long story not worth boring you all with.

Thoughts on using the newly painted bike outside ? Too early ?

Comments

• step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Should be fine, like you said it will be soft for a while but the outer will have skinned off so its just underneath that's soft so careful leaning things on it etc
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    Cool - I won't worry so much then
    Ta.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    I had a pro re spray done by Argos and the paint was so soft I damaged it just building it up. I was gutted they said i must have banged / dropped it but i could put my finger nail through it.

They sent me some touch up paint but i wont recommend them anymore.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Are you going to lacquer it?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.