New frame or new bike?

Myster101
Myster101 Posts: 856
edited April 2017 in MTB buying advice
Well having just discovered a crack half way down the seat tube on my 2014 Nukeproof Mega AM Comp I'm now after a new frame or a new bike all together (frame is 12 months out of warranty so best they will offer is 50% off the new AM frame). I've always had a soft spot for the Transition Scout and Patrol. Was thinking if I bought a Patrol frame then I could transfer most of my parts off the Nukeproof to it (X9 drive train 1x10, 160mm Pikes, Reverb Stealth, SLX brakes etc) but then do I need that much travel riding local trails and trail centre's (not really). The other option would be to buy the Scout and sell off the components from the Nukeproof to claw some cash back....decisions decisions. Any other frames I could be looking at or do I take the 2017 Nukeproof frame at half price :?:

Intrested to hear some opinions.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
Ribble 7005 Sportive

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    if parts fit then get a frame, I'd probably go for the new AM. scout or patrol are pretty expensive TBH
  • Myster101
    They've off me the new 2017 AM frame with shock for £850. All parts off my 2014 AM should fit so think that's what I'll be doing, at least the new frames get a 5 year warranty instead of just 2 lie the older models.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
  • Myster101
    Already checked mate, £1600 on CRC.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Personally I'd get the frame I WANTED and then build it up using what would be OK and selling the rest.

You could take their offer of a frame and sell it as brand new for a profit anyway!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    I own a Scout and all i can say is keeps surprising me on how good and capable it is,taking mine out to the alps later this year,I owned a Patrol before and as much as i loved it I found i was over biked 95% of the time,you can reduce the travel on your pikes if they are 650's down to 140mm or 150mm travel to suit the scout