Trek Emonda S5 vs SL5

jamesp1975
jamesp1975 Posts: 3
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
My local shop stocks both the Trek Emonda S5 and the SL5. Is the extra 300 or 400 € for the SL5 worth it? I haven't had a chance to take them out for a quick spin around the block yet (he didn't have time to fit pedals and put air in the tyres last time I was in), but the SL5 certainly feels considerably lighter.

I'll try to take them out on a test ride later this week, but in the meantime if anyone has an opinion either way...

James.

Comments

• w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Its only worth it if the money is there to be spent.
    I have the Emonda SLR and this is worth the money I spent on it (to me). However I've ridden just about every variant of the Emonda, and I personally would pay the extra for the better frame.
    I've had cheaper carbon frames, previously had a Madone 4 series, whilst this was good - I personally would rather have a higher end frame or I would go for an alu frame with a better groupset. (This is based on the riding / racing I do and we all have different needs and requirements for a bike)
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with the S5, my wife has one. Its a decent bike, but for me I can't explain why (been asked this before and it may be pure snobbery) but I prefer the ride of the Sl frame.
  • Thanks for your input.

As far as I can see, the differences between the S5 and the SL5 are the better frame and wheels with the SL5; the Group set seems to be Shimano 105 all the way through on both. The SLR is a little out of my price range! But I can stretch to the extra €300 for the SL5 I think.

I'll take it out for a spin one evening this week hopefully - I've never ridden a "high end" road bike - I used to ride a very old Hetchins, and now I'm on a Trek 1.1, so while I know the SL5 is not a really high end bike, it's considerably higher end than anything I've ever been on!