8 Speed Cassette on Fulcrum Racing 7s

oddnumber
oddnumber Posts: 42
edited April 2017 in Workshop
Afternoon all, I was wondering if someone a deal cleverer than me could confirm something please - I have an 8spd cassette on my Allez that I want to transfer onto a new set of Fulcrum Racing Sevens - I've heard that only one spacer is necessary, the one supplied, but Wiggle insist that I'll need an additional 1mm spacer.

Does anyone have a definitive answer, or know if 8 and 9 speed cassettes generally require the same spacers?

Thanks very much in advance for any help.

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    for the cost of a 1mm spacer - buy one - not nescersarily from Wiggle - that well known auction website has loads to offer...

The answer is - it (probably) depends on the hub - my FR S's didn't need one - but then they are older wheels before 11speed was released - and putting a 10 on there just required a single spacer. With the new 11s compatible wheels I'm not sure..
  • oddnumber
    Thanks for the reply Slowbike. The cost isn't a concern, it's more a case of (and I'm sure this'll sound daft) how would i know if I needed one?
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    The wheels will be 11spd compatible so you should just need the 1.85mm spacer that comes with the wheels...

Assuming the mech hanger is aligned of course ;)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Put the cassette on the hub and you'll see what you need....
  • oddnumber
    Thanks for the replies chaps!

When the cassette goes on will it be that blindingly obvious, or will it be a case of the gears not indexing correctly?

(Apologies for what might be a dim question. I'm used to fixed gear :? )
  • slowbike
    if you put the cassette on without the spacer, the cogs will be lose.
  • oddnumber
    Thanks Slowbike. Would it be clear if I needed both spacers or just the 1.85? It's hard to visualise without doing the job which I can't yet - extra spacer hasn't arrived and I've not had chance!
  • slowbike
    just chuck the cassette on - it'll either fit or it won't ... if the cassette is all wobbly then take it off - you need the extra spacer - if it is tight then you're good to go - and don't forget to re-index your gears as the cassette position in relation to the hub is bound to be different ...
  • oddnumber
    Thank you for all the replies chaps, they are greatly appreciated.

Just for closure, and in case in helps anyone else, I fitted the 8spd cassette on the Fulcrum 7s last night using only the spacer that came with the wheels. The extraneous one as advised by Wiggle wasn't required. Adjusted the gears slightly and all was well.

Thanks again for the help.