Flat Bar Road Bike Advice

Cmorris
Cmorris Posts: 2
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
I took up cycling several years ago but gave it up due to back and shoulder issues. I'm healthier now and want to resume riding, but think the relaxed, more upright position of a flat bar bike will be better for my body. I'm looking at these bikes and was wondering if anyone can offer any insights/suggestions? Thanks!

Specialized Sirrus Sport Carbon - https://www.specialized.com/us/en/men/b ... bon/118220

Kestrel RT-1000 Flat Bar 105 - http://www.kestrelbicycles.com/road/rt- ... himano-105

Comments

• Looking at those bikes, neither has a very relaxed position, certainly not upright. The saddles are set higher than the bars and they look to be 'Sports Hybrids' more similar to a Road bike geometry but with flat bars?
    You can get relaxed geometry road bikes with drops, I find straight bars (even with bar ends) offer fairly limited hand position options. HTH
  • benws1
    benws1 Posts: 415
    Take a look at endurance style road bikes. If you get setup correctly, you will find them to be quite comfortable.

I've just moved from a flat bar hybrid (which I used since June last year) to an endurance style road bike (Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc). Initially, I avoided road bikes due to back issues. On reflection, I wished I moved over to the Cube ages ago.

The position is a little more forward than the hybrid, but it seems much more comfortable. The frame and components on the Cube are of a much higher level than my old hybrid, so that helps. The Cube also has lovely thick bar tape. Finally, having skinnier tyres and being in a more aero position also helps you to consume the miles in a more relaxed fashion.

Also, as said above, you have more hand options on a road bike. With the flats you are quite limited and if you have issues, it's harder to adjust your position.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Never sat on a Kestrel ....... But I have ridden Sirrus, that picture is deceiving, comparing it to my boardman team hybrid, the Sirrus is a lot more upright and comfortable. the top tube is short so the bars are a lot closer to you size for size it puts you in a very open and up position, it has a massive rear triangle on it as well so you kind of sit in the middle of the bike as opposed to over the rear wheel .... it makes a difference over the cobbles (Bristol, lots of them where I work) ... steering on it feels overly light though, possibly due to no weight over the front though a longer stem would change that, but also lower your position.

There is 3 of them in the bike room as well so clearly liked. Personally I hated it .... it was far to upright and vague, bit like riding a mountain bike with road wheels and no suspension
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    The guy wants a more upright position. He is not going to use the drops or "other hand positions" on a road bike. Why do people insist on promoting drops when the OP clearly doesn't want them.

To the OP, you may get better advice in the commuter section, where several contributers use flat bar bikes.
  • mrfpb wrote:
    The guy wants a more upright position. He is not going to use the drops or "other hand positions" on a road bike. Why do people insist on promoting drops when the OP clearly doesn't want them.

To the OP, you may get better advice in the commuter section, where several contributers use flat bar bikes.

And you know this how?

The upright position he's after isn't a function of the flat bars but the geometry of the bike.