Fulcrum Racing 3 Problems

markybains
markybains Posts: 37
edited April 2017 in Workshop
I noticed play in the rear hub on a racing 3 wheel last week and so took it off the road for adjustment this weekend. I have disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled/lubed but in order to remove all the play I need to go very tight on the adjustment collar. The problem with this is that when the bike is on the stand and I turn the pedals they keep going and the freehub does not spin. Also, if I back pedal the chain goes very slack.

Does anyone know what is going on? Is the freehub on too tight and/or the wheel hub too tight? Assuming the wheel hub is too tight – how do I remove play otherwise? I have also changed the ball bearings now and inspected the cones which don’t look great with a few marks on the surfaces. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• hambini
    hambini Posts: 113
    It sounds like the freehub is locked. Either the ratchets are not disengaging or more likely there is too much compression between the bearings of the freehub and the wheel. If they are 6000 series deep groove ball bearings and you had play. Increasing the adjustment collar rarely takes the play out as the races have usually worn.

Looking at my notes http://www.hambini.com/wheel-bearing-catalogue/

you should have 6000, 6901 and 6001 bearings in the rear hub. You will probably find there should be a spacer between the freehub and the wheel bearings. Make sure it's in there (it will be thin). Also check to see if your bearings are not collapsed or pushed into the holes all of the way.
  • Thanks for your reply. I will focus on the free hub first.
    I know the thin spacers are in just need to check they are sitting right then. Does it sound like these my be worn out?
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    markybains wrote:
    I have dis I have also changed the ball bearings now and inspected the cones which don’t look great with a few marks on the surfaces. Any help would be appreciated.

That's your problem, worn cones.
    Replace and be happy again.
  • keezx
    hambini wrote:

you should have 6000, 6901 and 6001 bearings in the rear hub. You will probably find there should be a spacer between the freehub and the wheel bearings.

Nope.
    The rear hub has cup&cone bearings.
    The freehub has 2x 6803 bearings.
  • hambini
    hambini Posts: 113
    Sorry I apologize, I thought you had fulcrum 5 upon re-reading you have 3.
  • Keezx wrote:
    markybains wrote:
    I have dis I have also changed the ball bearings now and inspected the cones which don’t look great with a few marks on the surfaces. Any help would be appreciated.

That's your problem, worn cones.
    Replace and be happy again.

Is it possible to get replacement cones? If so, where from
  • keezx
    Yes, cones are sold separately....
    F.I.:
    https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collection ... -cone-hubs

Seen them on Ebay too.
    Check the races too, if they're worn too, you'll never get it good.
    And now, while you're busy, check the freehub bearings too, pull the freehub off and stick a finger in the bearings and turn, any play or roughness is not good. Easy replaceble though.