Narrow brake calipers?

Craig0657
Craig0657 Posts: 24
edited April 2017 in Workshop
Hi guys,

I've had my bike over 2 years now and have always had issues with the brake calipers seeming to be very narrow, I've constantly had to run these at the widest possible setting and after recently changing brake pads I've had issues with the brakes rubbing against the tyre :o

Just wanted to check whether there's anything I can do to change this? There is a small black cog above the caliper so does this have something to do with it?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, after over 4 years of cycling I'm still struggling to grasp the basics of maintenance! :oops: oh the brakes and calipers are 105 by the way.

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    How wide are your tyres ?

Are the calipers 5600, 5700 or 5800 ?
  • Craig0657
    Craig0657 Posts: 24
    The tyres are 23mm, I'm not sure which number the brakes are, how would I find this out?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,149
    the "small black cog " sounds like the barrel adjuster

turn it clockwise to increase the gap between pads and rim

if there's insufficient clearance with it screwed all the way in then it suggests the cable was clamped a bit too short

the park tool website has plenty of instructional articles...

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... -section-7
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    The brake arms should not be anywhere near the 23mm tyres. There should be ample room. Check the small left/right adjustment screw on the side isn't in too much. You may need to re-centre the caliper where it attaches to the fork after adjusting the left/right screw.

And check the brake pad holder units are attached in the same spot where they clamp onto each arm.

1. Screw the turn knob adjuster on the side all the way in.

2. Loosen the cable clamp bolt. And sqeeze and hold the arms so the gap between the brake pad and rim is around 5mm on each side. And clamp the cable.

3. Then turn the knob adjuster outwards till you find the desired bite point at the brake lever.

If you think the brake lever travels too far. Start over, wind the adjuster knob all the way in again. And do step 2 again but with a smaller gap between the brake pads and rim. Then step 3.