Trek 1200 SL - 2006 model

phospho123
phospho123 Posts: 32
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi there,

Looking at getting a good entry level road bike and have been searching for a few weeks. My budget is up to £450 but really, I would prefer to go cheaper and just want a quality frame that I can upgrade in the future if I want. I'm big on tinkering so would like to learn on a relatively cheap bike, but of course want a quality road bike as well.

I came across a trek 1200 SL with tiagra/105 components (9 speed)... some research says it's an allu frame with carbon forks, carbon seatpost. Condition seems ok and price is £150. Is this worth it? It seems like a deal, but of course I am weary of buying a bike with carbon forks which is 11 years old.

edit: also what's the expected weight on these bikes?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    phospho123 wrote:
    but of course I am weary of buying a bike with carbon forks which is 11 years old.

Don't be.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    No more than 100. Decent enough bike in its day mind, but as you said, it's 11 years old. You'd really need to know what you're looking at though. The carbon fork is no more of an issue than if it were five years old though.
  • Garry H wrote:
    No more than 100. Decent enough bike in its day mind, but as you said, it's 11 years old. You'd really need to know what you're looking at though. The carbon fork is no more of an issue than if it were five years old though.
    Then if not the carbon, why not? Decent groupset and can't see any other bikes even near the £300-400 range which are equivalent.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    phospho123 wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Then if not the carbon, why not? Decent groupset and can't see any other bikes even near the £300-400 range which are equivalent.

It's an eleven year old aluminium alloy frame. You have no idea what the bike has been put through. But, as I said, if you know what you are doing and the bike looks ok to you, then go for it. I would, for 100 quid.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    I have a Trek 1400 from 2006 and it has provided me excellent service - so much so that I miss riding it (I have it stored at a mates house - 200 miles away). Clearly my himod supersix evo is a better bike, however, the difference on an ordinary ride is not so huge - if it is in good nick then £100 - £150 is a good price.
  • Sportiveman
    Sportiveman Posts: 158
    Hi,
    I would go for it I have a 2004 trek 1000 which has alloy forks I bought it as my first road bike been excellent had it nearly 2 years and over that time I have replaced parts with the frame, forks and headset being the only original parts left. I still use it now for cold weather . Don't be put off . Also they hold there value so after a year if you want to upgrade or cycling is not for u you can sell it for original purchase price . Just be service items you will need to replace .
  • Thanks all - I decided to go for a trek 1.7. I got it for £210 with a full shimano 105 groupset. I'm happy with it!