Sram etap chain drop

beanstalk
beanstalk Posts: 143
edited April 2017 in Workshop
Chain rub on the FD when riding the big gears or chain drop, that's what I can choose from.
Despite numerous adjustments and repositionings of the FD I wasn't able to find the sweet spot to avoid both.
And I even watched the installation video :shock:
Has anyone similar problems with the etap front derailleur?
I'm using etap with a Shimano Ultegra SL FC-6650 crankset.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,149
    the install instructions may well be correct with a sram 22 chainset, with anything else be prepared to experiment

fwiw i found i needed to mount the fd slightly higher up

try the ww thread http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... &start=600 for more info
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Not got any experience with Etap but i would be looking at the chainline of the 6650 crankset. Have you tried adjusting that if possible ?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Personally, if I was using/able to purchase eTap.. I'd be probably thinking of using new Red kit to go with it instead of old school Shimano.
    You'll just have to experiment.
  • beanstalk
    Thanks for the answers, but the experimenting and fiddling is over, I'm getting rid of etap.
    I'm used to have a relatively broad choice of cranksets and I want to keep it that way.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    I have eTap paired with a Force 22 crank.
    I had a few chain drops changing to the large front.
    I fixed it by :-
    - making sure the fd was correctly aligned fore and aft
    - finally figuring out what the reverse threaded back to front fd outer adjuster did
    No drops recently and no rub.

Prior to the Etap I had Apex gears and they sometimes overthrew the chain but usually when I was putting no pressure on the pedals. Might be worth trying some changes keeping pressure on the pedals.
  • beanstalk
    paulbnix wrote:
    - finally figuring out what the reverse threaded back to front fd outer adjuster did.
    So, what does yours?
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    its just a moan.
    Every time I had another go at adjusting it I seemed to start off turning it the wrong way. I also managed to leave it a bit too far out and it put a slight scratch on the inside of the crank.