Drop handlebar hydraulic brake levers

Nick Payne
Nick Payne Posts: 288
edited April 2017 in Workshop
Are there any alternatives to the TRP Hylex when it comes to hydraulic drop handlebar levers without integrated shifters? I have a tandem with cable-operated discs which have never been all that satisfactory, particularly on the rear with its long cable run, and would like to change to hydraulic levers/calipers. The bike uses barend shifters and I don't want to change to integrated shifters, as I find barend shifters much better for use with triple chainrings, plus the barend shifter cable run doesn't interfere with using a handlebar bar.

Comments

• fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Couldnt you just use ultegra etc without a gear cable connected?
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • Nick Payne
    Fudgey wrote:
    Couldnt you just use ultegra etc without a gear cable connected?
    The downsides to that are: a) hydraulic levers that also contain mechanical shift innards are rather large and bulky, and b) I could go for the Di2 hydraulic which are slightly smaller, but then I'm paying a lot for something that I'm not using.
  • You can get various sram 1x hydraulic levers - they are designed for single ring set-ups so the left hand lever is hydraulic brake only. Apex, rival, force, cx1 variants are all available (not cheap though!)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    What about a hydraulic converter like a TRP Parabox or Hope VTwin? Fit under the stem so you need a bit of space. Mine works a treat. Probably only available used now as full hydraulics are more common.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Veronese68 wrote:
    What about a hydraulic converter like a TRP Parabox or Hope VTwin? Fit under the stem so you need a bit of space. Mine works a treat. Probably only available used now as full hydraulics are more common.

The Hope VTwins are still readily available. Not cheap but could be one of the few options to satisfy the OP's needs.

https://www.evanscycles.com/hope-v-twin ... 0wodRowMuw
  • Nick Payne
    Thanks for the suggestions about using a cable/hydraulic converter, but those also require a cable run that will interfere with using a handlebar bag. I think I'll just go for the TRP Hylex RS - if I can find someone who has them in stock. All the web merchants I've searched so far are out of stock of either the front or rear or both...
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I really like my Hylex's, I have them fitted to a single speed. Great hood and lever shape. Only downside seems to be if you use the screw in reach adjuster the levers rattle a bit, so have mine set "full out", despite having smaller hands I don't find this a problem.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...