New pedals - what adjustment..

furiousd
furiousd Posts: 214
edited April 2017 in Workshop
Morning all.
I have traditionally used SPD's on my road bikes, it stems from always using them on mountain bikes and commuting. I have just bought some new shoes and pick up the pedals tomorrow, moving across to SPD-SL.
Am i correct in thinking the road pedals will have a lower stack? What adjustments might i need to make. Set up is the same of each of my road bikes. Measurement from middle of BB to top of saddle, same on each. This however is becasue they all have the same pedals and seat.

Current pedals - XT M8000
Current Shoes - S works MTB

New pedals - Ultegra 6800
New shoes - S Works 6 road

If the stack is lower then i guess i need to lower the saddle slightly. Can anyone offer some advice.
Thanks in advance.
D

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    TBH I'd not worry for the sake of a few mm. I'm not that sensitive to change.

RIde as is and see how you feel ?
  • It depends on the shoes and pedals, and I'm not familiar with yours I'm afraid, but I've done the switch and have found I needed to adjust the saddle slightly, but a few mm max.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The only advise anyone can offer is to ride with the new pedals and make adjustments accordingly. Doesn't need to be any more complex than that.
  • hambini
    hambini Posts: 113
    I think a bigger question would be what float you have in the new pedals. If it's fixed v floating.

You'll probably have to drop the saddle slightly for the lower stack height and also move the seat slightly back
  • hambini wrote:
    I think a bigger question would be what float you have in the new pedals. If it's fixed v floating.

You'll probably have to drop the saddle slightly for the lower stack height and also move the seat slightly back

SPD-SL ship with the yellow cleats that give 6 degrees of float.
  • furiousd
    furiousd Posts: 214
    So i got the shoes, pedals and as mentioned about the 6 degree yellow cleats (came with pedals) Did a test ride on Sunday of about 15 miles. Left foot is perfect, right foot i do not have any float inwards. As in my heel cant float in anymore and the outside of my foot is pressing up again the edge of the outside of the shoe. So i need to adjust the rotation of the cleat. Tried a few times on Sunday but couldnt get it correct. Going to start again and put it straight, any suggest as which way to rotate to give more float on the inside?
    Thanks
    D
  • hambini
    hambini Posts: 113
    If I've read correctly.

If you are looking looking at the base of your right shoe, the cleat needs to be rotated clockwise to bring the heel in and counter clockwise to move the heel outwards.

I ride with 0 degree cleats so the cleat setup is a pain with new shoes. I bought the ergon system and that helps but I found the best thing was to stick the bike on a turbo trainer.