Swanley to London

Saffa
Saffa Posts: 4
edited April 2017 in Commuting general
Hey all,

New to the forum...new to the country as well. A bit of an intro from my side first.
I am a South African who has come abroad to work in London for AECOM. My wife...a very competitive track cyclist with Olympic 2020 aspirations joins me on the 1st of May. We have found a property in Swanley which we like and are in the process of securing tenancy.

Now I already commute daily from Kingston to London...16 mile journey one way. Has anyone got any experience commuting from Swanley in to London? Just need a bit of a heads up on roads not to use and plan around it.

Forum looks great and sure I will be a regular

Regards
Jaco

Comments

• Quins
    Quins Posts: 239
    Hey Jaapie, welcome aboard! I'm sure someone will come along soon with some detailed and experienced routes, I only commute via Swanley from Vauxhall to south of Maidstone a couple of times a year but know the area quite well.

Depends on where you are heading into London as well

In reverse from Swanley my route would be A20 to St Mary's roundabout, head to Chislehurst high street then to Mottingham and on to Grove Park,right then pick Downham Way , Whitefoot Lane, pick up Southend Lane head towards Perry Vale/Rise, Forest Hill, pick up South Circular, Hornimans,then towards Dulwich but staying in Lordship lane and Dog Kennel Hill towards Camberwell and then depending on where you are heading in London.... Turn left for Vauxhall area or go straight on towards Elephant & Castle.....
    Great goal for Mrs Saffa, lekker lekker firecracker! Look forward to hearing about the progress on that.

You'll be able to access some good Kent country riding from Swanley too.
    Come on you Sarf East Lahndern commuters, give Saffa a steer, once he's told us where in London he's headed.
  • Saffa
    Quins wrote:
    Hey Jaapie, welcome aboard! I'm sure someone will come along soon with some detailed and experienced routes, I only commute via Swanley from Vauxhall to south of Maidstone a couple of times a year but know the area quite well.

Depends on where you are heading into London as well

In reverse from Swanley my route would be A20 to St Mary's roundabout, head to Chislehurst high street then to Mottingham and on to Grove Park,right then pick Downham Way , Whitefoot Lane, pick up Southend Lane head towards Perry Vale/Rise, Forest Hill, pick up South Circular, Hornimans,then towards Dulwich but staying in Lordship lane and Dog Kennel Hill towards Camberwell and then depending on where you are heading in London.... Turn left for Vauxhall area or go straight on towards Elephant & Castle.....
    Great goal for Mrs Saffa, lekker lekker firecracker! Look forward to hearing about the progress on that.

You'll be able to access some good Kent country riding from Swanley too.
    Come on you Sarf East Lahndern commuters, give Saffa a steer, once he's told us where in London he's headed.
    Thanks for the reply...I work right above Aldgate East Station very close to Tower Bridge.

I do not mind busy roads...just needs to be reasonably safe
  • smudge002
    smudge002 Posts: 17
    I agree with Quins for the first part of the route into Chislehurst and then down to Mottingham. At the first roundabout in Mottingham (by the Harley Davidson garage) I would turn left towards Grove Park, but then turn right at the next roundabout into Mottingham Lane instead of going straight. At the bottom of the next hill go straight over the next roundabout and up the hill on Winn Road, then right onto Burnt Ash Lane and keep going straight until Blackheath, then through Greenwich Park and down the hill. I would then follow the main road from Greenwich towards Deptford, then Surrey Quays, past the Rotherhithe Tunnel and then through Bermondsey to Tower Bridge.

I used to live in Chislehurst but have recently moved to Petts Wood, and so the first part of my commute has changed a bit.
  • Saffa
    smudge002 wrote:
    I agree with Quins for the first part of the route into Chislehurst and then down to Mottingham. At the first roundabout in Mottingham (by the Harley Davidson garage) I would turn left towards Grove Park, but then turn right at the next roundabout into Mottingham Lane instead of going straight. At the bottom of the next hill go straight over the next roundabout and up the hill on Winn Road, then right onto Burnt Ash Lane and keep going straight until Blackheath, then through Greenwich Park and down the hill. I would then follow the main road from Greenwich towards Deptford, then Surrey Quays, past the Rotherhithe Tunnel and then through Bermondsey to Tower Bridge.

I used to live in Chislehurst but have recently moved to Petts Wood, and so the first part of my commute has changed a bit.
    Wow been a hectic week for me had to head back to SA unplanned.

Route looks decent will give it a bash over the weekend