My first (second) bike

Icrashbeautifully
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi everyone, first post, so please be gentle with me if I seem a bit clueless!

I got my first road bike about a year ago, a Specialized Allez Sport. I swiftly upgraded it with a full Ultegra 6800 groupset, and lighter Pro Lite Bartolo wheels. Since doing that, it's become a bike I absolutely adore.

But... I'd like to treat myself to a second one, and I'd like to draw on all your experience to make the right choice.

In terms of what I can afford, I've narrowed it down to two choices: The Orro Gold STC Disc with Di2; or the Giant Propel Advance 0. The Orro is a lightwegiht, high tech race machine, while the Giant is a not so light aero weapon.

I live in a part of Yorkshire where a flat road is a legend spoken of in breathless whispers by whippet thin cyclists with calves broader than their shoulders, so low weight always appeals: But am I right to keep chasing lower total grams, or should I branch out and go aero.

All input appreciated, and when I do get my N+1 I'll update the thread so you can see if your choice 'won'!

Comments

• janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    Definitely go aero,I have just the bike you need for sale and save you a lot of money!
    viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13076841
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,007
    I know the feeling mate as I live on the better side of the big black hill.

I'd say weight woudl be the advantage over aero depending on your build.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • What do you want the bike to do? Are you an aspiring racer looking to take seconds off your climbing or make a break stick? Are you a club rider who wants to hang with the fast guys? Are you a long distance day rider who wants to see more? Are you a short blast, KOM smashing monster who wants the Kudos?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Don't go discs - it's handy to be able to swap wheels between your bikes.

Aero isn't going to be much use for going up hill - but if it looks cool....

Lightweight is probably better - but its simpler to take less water out with you. If you are a chunky monkey then its cheaper to eat less and you'll ride better on all bikes.
  • Fenix wrote:
    Don't go discs - it's handy to be able to swap wheels between your bikes.

Aero isn't going to be much use for going up hill - but if it looks cool....

Lightweight is probably better - but its simpler to take less water out with you. If you are a chunky monkey then its cheaper to eat less and you'll ride better on all bikes.

You can do all that and still ride a lighter bike...
  • What do you want the bike to do? Are you an aspiring racer looking to take seconds off your climbing or make a break stick? Are you a club rider who wants to hang with the fast guys? Are you a long distance day rider who wants to see more? Are you a short blast, KOM smashing monster who wants the Kudos?

Well... Let's start with the physical details. I'm 5' 11", 90kg, and most of my weight is round my middle. I'm also a Type 1 diabetic! I'm not an aspiring racer, given I'm closing in fast on 40 years of age, but I DO enjoy going fast. I don't ride with a club yet, but if I do I'd like to be making every turn of the pedals count, especially up climbs. Something to help me comfortably increase my distances would also be great. And who knows, maybe the odd KOM, if only for a few hours?
  • Joshgav
    Joshgav Posts: 158
    What do you want the bike to do? Are you an aspiring racer looking to take seconds off your climbing or make a break stick? Are you a club rider who wants to hang with the fast guys? Are you a long distance day rider who wants to see more? Are you a short blast, KOM smashing monster who wants the Kudos?

Well... Let's start with the physical details. I'm 5' 11", 90kg, and most of my weight is round my middle. I'm also a Type 1 diabetic! I'm not an aspiring racer, given I'm closing in fast on 40 years of age, but I DO enjoy going fast. I don't ride with a club yet, but if I do I'd like to be making every turn of the pedals count, especially up climbs. Something to help me comfortably increase my distances would also be great. And who knows, maybe the odd KOM, if only for a few hours?

Try them out and see what you think, don't just choose on spec. I would suggest that the Propel isn't a particularly comfortable ride if you are looking for a bike to do longer distances on, I don't know about the other one.

If you really want to get quicker, invest in a decent turbo and Trainerroad for midweek blasts (a Kickr if you don't want to change tyres/wheels).

If you really want a new blingy bike then buy the one which fits you best and is most comfortable for long distances.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I seriously doubt the advantages that aero will give you .. the wheels might help but to be honest unless you are in an aero position yourself any 0.5% increase in having a curved seatpost is going to be negated by your position on the bike, the width of your stomach, baggy windproof etc.

However a light bike is a joy to ride ... yes you are no quicker, but it handles nice, it feels nimble, it doesn't slow down as quickly as you tire on the hills ... everytime you pick it up to move it or carry it, it makes you smile ... Light bikes are a pure joy ... apparently they are slower on the descents, but I normally have the brakes on by the bottom anyway, so kind of irrelevant to my usages.

I would go light and when you have more money buy aero wheels for it
  • Well... Let's start with the physical details. I'm 5' 11", 90kg, and most of my weight is round my middle. I'm also a Type 1 diabetic! I'm not an aspiring racer, given I'm closing in fast on 40 years of age, but I DO enjoy going fast. I don't ride with a club yet, but if I do I'd like to be making every turn of the pedals count, especially up climbs. Something to help me comfortably increase my distances would also be great. And who knows, maybe the odd KOM, if only for a few hours?

You can go fast on any bike really, it's all about the engine. Aero bits will help a tiny bit, but they have most benefit when you're on the front or on your own and you need to be doing over 18mph, otherwise you're just dragging weight around.

Lightweight is probably the way to go, although if you want comfort I would be looking at something like the Genesis equilibrium disc in Reynolds 853.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Aero is 99% marketing

Lightweight - well I'd not spend big bucks saving grammes when you have the weight of a cheap extra bike round your tum.

I ride a heavy CX bike with thick and heavy tyres for 6 months of the year. When I swap to the summer bike - lighter and skinny tyres - I notice the difference for an hour and then it becomes 'normal'.

You could easily spend 3 grand and not notice much of a difference. Lose the kilos and you will be flying up the hills though.