9 speed shimano shifters

Uber_Pod
Uber_Pod Posts: 110
edited March 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
My calibre twotwo has 9sp deore shifters and deore M395 brake levers.

I'd like to move the brake levers inboard of the shifters. Or at least try it that way.

However, they won't fit that way around because the window which shows what gear it's in, is in the way.
The window part doesn't appear to be removeable. It's new, so I'd rather not resort to the hacksaw at this stage.

Are there any other options for shifters without a window? (presumably 9sp only - most I can find are 10 or 11)
I could (I think) change the brake levers to, for example, M615 but I'm not sure that would solve the problem by itself.
I'm also not sure what's involved in swapping either part.

Also, I might just not be used to it, but when I get the thumb shifter where I'd like it, the finger shifter feels to far away.
Is that just me or would different shifters help with that? I'd have thought they would all be fixed relative to each other.

This picture (not my bike!) kind of shows the problem:

p1030814_orig.jpg

Comments

• jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    Why do you want to move them round? I tried this to make the levers more 'one finger' but found the shifters were too far inwards to the lever, felt really odd. So many ed them back. You could try just moving everything inwards a bit, and separating out the shifters and levers so there's a gap between them. Currently everything is very pushed together.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • ade555
    ade555 Posts: 216
    Don't know why it feels wierd for you but thats how shimano is design to fit, looks like your shimano shifter is M590 which should have 2-way release, you can down shift with thumb is well if the triger feels to far away, Sram shifter you can fit the other way round and from x7 model up have 2 holes so you can move that shifter a bit but geting sram shifter you need to get sram rear mech and sram shifters are thumb only. If I was you just use thumb to downshift on your shimano.
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    ade555 wrote:
    Don't know why it feels wierd for you but thats how shimano is design to fit, looks like your shimano shifter is M590 which should have 2-way release, you can down shift with thumb is well if the triger feels to far away, Sram shifter you can fit the other way round and from x7 model up have 2 holes so you can move that shifter a bit but geting sram shifter you need to get sram rear mech and sram shifters are thumb only. If I was you just use thumb to downshift on your shimano.

Two years of riding with these shifters and I've only just found this out!! THANK YOU! :lol:
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • Uber_Pod
    Uber_Pod Posts: 110
    jamski wrote:
    ade555 wrote:
    Don't know why it feels wierd for you but thats how shimano is design to fit, looks like your shimano shifter is M590 which should have 2-way release, you can down shift with thumb is well if the triger feels to far away,

Two years of riding with these shifters and I've only just found this out!! THANK YOU! :lol:

I had that revelation last night too. It will take some practice to remember it works that way, but it means I can shift up and down with just the thumb. That makes positioning the shifters much easier.

I'd still like the brake levers slightly more inboard, but it's much better now.