Commuting Beginner - Hybrid vs CX?

fuller23
fuller23 Posts: 8
edited June 2017 in Commuting general
Hi

I’m brand new to the forum, and looking for some advice on the best bike for commuting. As background, until last week I hadn’t cycled for approx. 10 years. I then borrowed a bike to do a “test commute” before I committed to buying a bike myself. In short, the test was a success and I’m now looking at bikes, but the choice is quite overwhelming!

The commute is about 7 miles each way. It’s mainly over cycle paths (essentially widened pavements beside busy road) and an offroad section of about 1-1.5 miles. This part has the potential to be muddy in bad weather. I also need to cross a number of smaller roads (while on cycle path), manoeuvre through gate posts, and probably bump up and down a couple of kerbs. I therefore won’t be able to go flat out for the full thing and being in control at low speeds will be quite important. I probably won’t be doing any cycling other than my commute.

My budget for the bike will be around £500. I think I’ve narrowed it down to 2 main types, but I don’t know why one is better than the other. I’ve been told that the Boardman bikes are quite good so will use them as an example (open to other suggestions though):

Hybrid
Before I started looking I just assumed a hybrid would be best for me. Naively, I thought the only other options were road or MTB. The bike I borrowed to test the commute was a hybrid and it seemed absolutely fine, but then I don't exactly have much to compare it to. I’d been looking at something like the below bike, but would look to get handlebar extensions put on too:

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/boardman-hybrid-team-bike-2016

CX
A lot of people on forums seem to say that hybrids are no good and should be avoided. This has led to me looking at cyclocross bikes (which seem to be “cooler”). I’ve never used drop handlebars before, and as mentioned will need to be in control at low speeds. I like the look of this one, since it also has breaks in the more “regular” position. As a beginner I think this would help me feel much more comfortable that I could brake quickly if needed.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-cx-comp-bike

So, a few questions I was hoping people could help with!

1) Which type of bike do you think would be best for my commute? Why?
2) Why do hybrid bikes seem to be so unpopular on forums?
3) Would I be able to get the same level of slow-moving control from drop handlebars? Bear in mind I’ve never used them before.
4) From what I can see, the hybrid has narrower tires than the CX (32 vs 37). Does this suggest it would be closer to a road bike?
5) Would both bikes be low maintenance? I’m not really keen on having to do a lot to them other than ride them!

Apologies for the long post! Thank you for any help – this cycling game is interesting but confusing at the same time!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Personal preference really, I commute on a PlanetX London road which is sold with straight or bendy bars with pretty much everything else being similar (specifics on controls aside), you can certainly get either generic bike type with tyres from 25mm through to about 45mm (upto about 38mm being most common for CX/Gravel/Adventure/Urban bikes - use the description the manufacturer arbitrarily opted for) or even 50+mm on some Hybrids.

I run flat bars with hydraulic (MTB) disc brakes but with an inverted stem/no spacers to keep the bar height low and its pretty much the same position as riding on the hoodz.

There is a bias against Hybrids, mostly from people who've not ridden a decently fast one, they are inherently lighter (all else being equal) as the bars and controls are lighter, while drop bars work fine in traffic I think flat bars are better.

Maintenance would be the same as the bilk of the parts can be exactly the same.
    Compare
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLRDFLA ... -road-bike
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRIV ... al-11-bike
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    8 months ago I started commuting by bike.

I purchased that boardman Team hybrid ... firstly, its an excellent bike, comfortable, fast, relatively light, easy to handle, nimble yet stable.

It got me into road cycling, before that I was firmly in the MTB camp and when I started to commute I found drop bars and the silly little tyres and 44cm handle bars quite uncomfortable.

8 months have passed and I now own a CX bike, and 2 road bikes. And the hybrid is running a 1x10 drive train and better wheels and weighs in at 9kg with the pannier rack and lights on it.

The reason I got the other bikes, was due to the flat bar of the hybrid ... its fine for manoeuvring, even going a bit quick, but when you want to light the road up or its blowing a gale having drops is a massive advantage.

I still use the hybrid, mostly when its hammering down with rain OR I need to carry a lot of stuff in panniers OR more recently when I did my back in and couldn't ride the road bikes, but the hybrid despite me slamming the stem was still upright enough for me to be comfortable-ish

If I did it again I would go CX ........ but, there is a very large possibility that if I went CX I would end up buying a flat bar for those fast wet weather days.

edit: - oh and the spec on the cx comp isn't as good as the team hybrid .... hydraulic brakes make a massive difference, if you can afford it, see if you can stretch to the CX - team if you decide to go cx
  • fuller23
    Thanks for the help. I'm now thinking that a CX bike may be best, as long as I could get the top brakes put on it. Someone at work has suggested this would be quite easy to do? It sounds like most people get fed up of flat bars after a while so it might help future proof it for me a bit.

The team one is probably a bit out of my price range. Anything else I should be looking at around the £500 mark? I noticed one at Wiggle (verranti?), or would the Btwin triban 520 be suitable? It's under road bikes on their site but I've noticed some reviews have mentioned it can be taken off road too.
  • Go to Evans and test drive a bunch a bikes of all types; hybrid, cyclocross, road. And see which you like the feel of best. Sounds like you already did that. In fact, if you if you choose cyclocross go with an 'adventure' bike instead as I think the bottom bracket is lower and I doubt you need a raised bottom bracket. Don't buy a mountain bike. Go with anything with drop bars, more efficient than flat bars as theres less air hitting your face making you slower. Don't forget to buy some mudguards too.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    fuller23 wrote:
    Thanks for the help. I'm now thinking that a CX bike may be best, as long as I could get the top brakes put on it. Someone at work has suggested this would be quite easy to do?

It is quite easy to do, but the levers there are inherently less powerful than the brake-shifter levers. Although it seems natural to ride a bike with your thumbs towards each other it's actually a position that puts stress on your forearms. The most natural position is with palms facing each other, and it's this position you'll find yourself in with your hands on top of the brake levers. It's the most comfortable position to ride in and it gives you full access to the brakes and gears.

I wouldn't bother with interrupter levers.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I would go with the hybrid for your commute. A more upright position is better for seeing and being seen. Looking over your shoulder while wearing a backpack is easier on a hybrid, and on cycle paths or in town the "Aero" ability of a drop position is wasted.

Hybrids are also cheaper for the same spec in comparison to drop bar bikes. Some else pointed out that the hybrid you linked has better brakes than the cx you linked.

I don't agree with Aspirilla's opinion on hand positions. I find the flat bar quite comfortable to ride in comparison to gripping the brake hoods on a drop bar.

I own a hybrid and a cx. I use the cx for long rides or commutes (10+ miles) and the hybrid for local pttering or shopping (or for leaving places overnight as it's old and not worth much). I would buy aother, lighter hybrid for loaded commutting if the one I have finally gave up the ghost. Flat bars are good.

And it's not a "hybrid," it's an original. All other bikes types are derivatives
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    fuller23 wrote:
    It sounds like most people get fed up of flat bars after a while so it might help future proof it for me a bit.
    Some, sure, most, possibly but I'm still happy on flats after more than 7 years.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fuller23
    Ok so I've now found out my work cycle scheme has changed and no longer includes Halfords. Looks like Boardman's are out of the picture unless anywhere else sells them?

If not, what's the next best value for money I can get at around the £500 mark? Was in Edinburgh Bike Cooperative today and saw a Specialized Sirrus Disk at £525 and a Whyte one at £600 (only had 9 gears). How would they compare quality wise? Would be quite keen to buy from there as they seemed really helpful. Also bear in mind I'm a total beginner so might not notice subtle differences between bikes!
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    fuller23 wrote:
    Ok so I've now found out my work cycle scheme has changed and no longer includes Halfords. Looks like Boardman's are out of the picture unless anywhere else sells them?

If not, what's the next best value for money I can get at around the £500 mark? Was in Edinburgh Bike Cooperative today and saw a Specialized Sirrus Disk at £525 and a Whyte one at £600 (only had 9 gears). How would they compare quality wise? Would be quite keen to buy from there as they seemed really helpful. Also bear in mind I'm a total beginner so might not notice subtle differences between bikes!

Will they let you test ride both? Discuss with staff what range of things you want to do on the bike (ie commutting plus what you might do in your spae time), I find EBC staff really helpful when choosing a bike.

As you are using a cycle scheme, start drawing up a list of accessories/clothes that can be added to the cycle scheme voucher.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    don't worry about it only having 9 gears ... the boardman was a 2x10 ... I changed that to a 1x10 and probably only use 7 of them when commuting and I live in Bristol with a fair few gradient changes on my journey.

unless I take the single speed in .. that only have the 1 gear

basically, you don't need loads of gears unless ... at times they can be nice .... but in reality there is not a necessity
  • Hi

In reply to OP

1.boardman ++ or equivalent if you can no longer get Halfords
    -depending on geometry position may be more upright than flat bars when on the tops, your hands are closer instead of splayed out on the hybrid, but you can get more aero on the drops if need to get low and out of the weather and much faster
    -narrower bars are better in traffic and negotiating gates etc; your knuckles provide a natural buffer when on the hoods whereas wide bars can be awkward on narrow cycle lanes/passages/filtering in traffic etc. There is no guard over the end of flat bars.
    -more hand positions for comfort, pronged single position can be uncomfortable
    -very flexible use on and off road esp with 37mm tyres, you could easily do longer road rides if you find you enjoy it and you could ride alongside people which is unnerving with flat bars.
    2.see above
    3. yes,flat bars are not the default bar style; they evolved from early mtbs, lots of bike styles have hands in mid-pronation and people can adapt to drops although it may take a few rides to find the controls naturally. I can see this is a worry.
    4. no
    5. yes

But in the end just get a bike and enjoy.
  • karlmcr
    karlmcr Posts: 16
    My experience.

After a lifetime of BMXs & Mountain Bikes, I bought a Hybrid about 5yrs ago & loved the lightness. Sadly it was nicked from the backgarden, so I bought a replacement CX, because the narrow handlebars were better for keeping it in my hallway.

I never use the dropbars, just feels weird. It took a bit of getting used to, new hand positions, the gear levers, disc brakes etc.

I wouldn't go back to hybrid now though.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    The Rookie wrote:
    fuller23 wrote:
    It sounds like most people get fed up of flat bars after a while so it might help future proof it for me a bit.
    Some, sure, most, possibly but I'm still happy on flats after more than 7 years.

Ditto, although the hybrid is 22 years old and I still enjoy riding it
  • pbassred
    pbassred Posts: 208
    I have the older Boardman CX team. 2 X 10 and mechanical brakes. Several things:-

Disks are more powerful than rim anyway. I did upgrade to better mechanical brakes but it wasn't crucial.

I thought that Halfords ran their OWN cycle scheme. Ask them.

I don't like the cycle scheme. Technically you don't own you bike until you pay an extra fee at the end. It also robs you of the chance to make discount deals because there is a commission that the bike store pays for using it.

People appear to be biased against Hybreds because forums are populated by people who bike as a hobby. Those people are either roadies or MTBers. There is no Hybrid forum or page in strava. The roadie at work even hates my CX because its "like a hybrid".

What is wrong with a used bike until you know what you like?
  • hell27
    hell27 Posts: 21
    For what you want to do either will be good. Hybrids are great commuting machines as are CX bikes. I commute on a CX and love it, prefer it to a road bike. I guess I'm a MTB'er at heart. Whatever you go for, make sure you can fit a pannier rack as this can give you the option to ride without a backpack.