Garmin Training Plans

dinyull
dinyull Posts: 2,979
I know this will seem old fashioned compared to Trainerroad and Zwift, but does anyone train using the Garmin Training Plans?

I saw the folder on my 810 last night and started thinking.

We have our first child on the way and trying to get something in place for the lead-up to arrival and the first few months where I doubt I'll be able to get out into the real world too much.

Will probably only use it at weekends as I commute 5 days a week so not wanting to sign back up to Trainerroad.

Are there any websites to download workouts?

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    You can make them yourself on Connect in the browser - it's really easy*, then just sync them across. Pinch your favourite training plan and away you go, or make up your own workouts to fit your goals.

Are you using a power meter? Otherwise it'd have to be off heartrate - or if you can Google the power curve for your turbo (some are published) you could set the workouts up based on speed (although you'd have to manually change them all after doing an ftp test as it wouldn't be able to automatically adjust like with % of ftp).

* although I have to say it's probably 2 years since I last used it so they could have really screwed it up since then!
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Cheers for the reply.

I'd have to use HR, which is putting me off. Having used Trainerroad for a year or so I know how long it takes for HR to rise in comparison to effort.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    OK that's what I was doing. What you want to avoid is always sprinting to get your HR into the right range (although this is a totally valid workout, hard efforts followed by threshold! So you could just incorporate that into your workouts).

I think the best way to get around that is to either a) get to know what RPE will result in that HR within the interval (you probably do already?) and ride into it, or b) set up the intervals with a steady HR rise, i.e., 2 mins 140-150, 2 mins 150-160 and 2 mins 160+ or whatever. The other thing you can do is have intervals which only end once your HR gets to a set value, so you could steadily build to threshold over a period and then trigger an interval at threshold. This does add an element of indeterminate length into the intervals though...

I would not bother with putting in intervals at anaerobic HRs as the lag is too big.