SRAM X7/GX pre-mature failure / wear

mark_fogel
mark_fogel Posts: 158
edited April 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I ride a Boardman FS 2014 and my rear mech seems to be wearing out very quickly and I am already on my 3rd mech. Started initially on clutch x7 and now I have upgraded to GX when the X7 developed play which made the chain skip when pedalling over bumps and shifting became very vague with time and I found it hard to shift into the required gear. The GX mech also developed the same issue in less than a year so I was debating if I should change to a Shimano system but due to costs I ended up buying another GX. My local bike shop are saying that the SRAM clutch mech spring in X7/GX is very strong and it puts allot of pressure on the mech hence these wear out quite quickly, however a mate of mine never had an issue with his GX mech and has been riding his bike for a couple of years now without any issues. Has anyone else had a similar experience with SRAM mechs? I am just wondering if I am doing something wrong as having to replace the rear mech every year seems a bit excessive especially since I only use the bike on average once a week.

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Still on my original SRAM X9 clutch mech from 2013, gone up to a 42T 1x as well with no issues, haven't ever read about SRAM mech failing prematurely either, maybe something else is causing it? Do you do a lot of miles?? Maybe try another bike shop and explain the issue to them see if they can find anything?
  • mark_fogel
    I dont' really do too many miles as I ride mostly on weekends, may be 20-25 miles a ride. Occasionally I go to Afan and BPW which is quite hard on the bike and also trails like Croft in Swindon which is mostly flat but very twisty and requires many gear changes. Other people I know with SRAM never had these issues. My local LBS mechanic is really good so everything is set well and shifting is not an issue now however I can see it going wrong again in the near future. My previous mech was replaced by another shop who could not explain why the mech developed such play.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Have they checked to make sure hanger isn't bent?
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    How many chains, cassettes and chainrings have you replaced during this time or replaced the jockey wheels on the mech.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • mark_fogel
    JGTR wrote:
    Have they checked to make sure hanger isn't bent?

Bent one recently and replaced instantly with a new one
  • mark_fogel
    robertpb wrote:
    How many chains, cassettes and chainrings have you replaced during this time or replaced the jockey wheels on the mech.

I tend to replace the chain fairly often maybe every 6-8 months so 4-5 chains more or less, on the second cassette and second 2x10 chainset. The chainset was changed from FSA to Shimano Deore not because it was worn but because I couldn't get on with the weird gear ratios on the original FSA chainset which was 42/27, the Shimano Deore is much better at 36/22.
    Never replaced the jockey wheels.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    SRAM jockey wheels aren't very long lasting, my money would be on these rather than the mech causing issues. Its really easy to change the bearings in the jockey wheels if the teeth aren't worn out, they just pop in and out.