Sram Rear Derailleur play

ade555
ade555 Posts: 216
edited March 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I notice a little problem with my Sram GX Rear Derailleur, play on one of the pivots, after maybe 10km ride started to having problem with gear shifting, now this play is also noticeable even with chain on, question does all sram rear mech like that? I like the feeling of sram shifting but this play puts me off and thinking fitting shimano.

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sorry, but your description is too confusing to make a meaningfully accurate reply.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ade555
    The Rookie wrote:
    Sorry, but your description is too confusing to make a meaningfully accurate reply.

I'm going try to explain with picture, on 2 of the pin there is movement, when you hold the mech and wiggle about you can see there is play, looks like worn pins or what ever they call?

sram_zpsh43dwilb.png
  • The Rookie
    More likely the alloy housing worn than the steel pin, either way not repairable I'm afraid.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ade555
    Thank you for reply
  • ade555
    I remove the mech from bike now, when is of bike you can't see any movement, rear mech is only around £40 at the moment and sort of thinking if is worth it replacing, I know when I purchase that bike seller did say is nearly new mech so sort of put me off buying another and just fitting my xt on it, but because I like sram feel I would love to hear from other owners of sram if is common problem or just unlucky or mislead when purchasing my bike.
  • The Rookie
    I don't know about the GX but my commuter was running an 8 year old X9 which I've just swapped to a shorter cage and 2 years newer X9, both running perfectly.
  • mark_fogel
    mark_fogel Posts: 158
    Ah! I should have scrolled down the forum list, I think I am having a similar issue.
    Here is my post:
    viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=13078078

I am on my 3rd mech now :cry:
  • ade555
    My problem is like Rookie pointed out is the alloy that is worn, you can see movement of the part that have adjustment screws on, I decided to put my Shimano gear on for now as the next up on sram list looks like XO and can't aford sram price tag, also when you look closer on sram webside the XO have something just in front of them pins. If I get bit time tomorrow I will drill out one of them pins and see if something can be done.
  • mark_fogel
    ade555 wrote:
    My problem is like Rookie pointed out is the alloy that is worn, you can see movement of the part that have adjustment screws on, I decided to put my Shimano gear on for now as the next up on sram list looks like XO and can't aford sram price tag, also when you look closer on sram webside the XO have something just in front of them pins. If I get bit time tomorrow I will drill out one of them pins and see if something can be done.

Cool keep us updated, as I believe that I have the same issue there's quite a bit of play everywhere especially the pins your picture above shows.
  • ade555
    I managed to sort mine out, after closer inspection looked like the pins come a bit lose for some reason and it wasn't the housing, you need to tap the rivits with hammer few times on the inside, but make sure you check it after each tap, you hit it to hard and rear mech will be very hard to move. Not sure at this moment how long this fix will last but I have no more play and rear mech still moves fine.

20170330_170446_zps4e2h5otp.jpg
  • mark_fogel
    Thanks for the update, I will have a look at mine over the weekend.