Does the suspension on a K8s really make a difference?

not-another-hillǃ
not-another-hillǃ Posts: 1,310
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
Just wondering about the suspension on the back of the Pinarello K8-s and if it's a gimmick or really dies smooth things out?
I've got an old back injury and have been through numerous bikes to try to find one that doesn't hurt my back after an hour or so in the saddle. I've got the chance to buy a K8-s but before I shell out, I just wanted some opinions...th eonline reviews look fairly favourable.

Anyone got one/ ridden one / got a mate that's got one etc?

Cheers

Comments

• Snake oil
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • :? :?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    edited March 2017
    I have no experience of the K8 but my advice would be to look at what is causing your back to hurt. Is it the jarring or is it the position? If the latter then swapping bikes may or may not help so it might be worth looking into bike fits and the like. If the former, I would simply opt for a decent bike that takes wide rim wheels and 32mm tubeless tyres run at a nice low PSI. That option, perhaps matched with a gobl or syntace seatpost, would be much cheaper and open up the choices considerably.
  • Hahaha...the spring thing looks awful!!

I've had a bike fit and am comfortable with the position I have. I don't get anywhere near the back pain on my winter bike, as I do on my summer bike, so I've figured it must be the summer bike that needs replacing!
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Hahaha...the spring thing looks awful!!

lol I've backed it. out of curiosity more than anything. i got the early bird offer of $25 + $10 shipping. No way would i pay more. I just want to know what it feels like to ride. If i hate it, i'll sell it. It wont exactly look good on my dale' Supersix but I plan to fit it to a Canyon VCLS post and a Fizik Kurve Bull saddle as an experiment. It should look proper fred :D:mrgreen:
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I've got a sprung 27.2mm seatpost, unwanted came with a second hand bike.

If you're in Herts you're very welcome to try it out... they aren't particularly expensive to buy new anyway.

Hell of a lot cheaper than a new Pinarello.
  • er, thanks for the offer of a suspension seatpost, but I think Ill pass on that one.

And the Spring thing on a VCLS seatpost, you'll be bouncing all over the place :shock:

I'm looking for a top quality, comfortable summer bike to replace my Colnago, rather than a quick fix bodge :lol:
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Does the winter bike have bigger tyres than the summer bike ?

I'd go for the biggest tyres I could fit and then you can run a lower PSI for comfort.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Well, the fairly reasonable question to ask, is the summer bike uncomfy because the fit is different from the winter bike, or is it uncomfy because of a lack of rear suspension?

If it's the latter, trying out a sprung seatpost might be a good way to find out.

Personally though, I'd be going through everything else before I bought a 5 grand frameset blind on the basis of recommendations from strangers on the internet.

So why don't you try your winter bike's tyres and wheels on your summer bike?

Saddle/seatpost?

Carefully measure to check that fit is identical to the known good fit on the other bike?

Is it just that you haven't ridden the summer bike for months and you need to give your body a few rides to adjust to it?
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,018
    I'm looking for a top quality, comfortable summer bike to replace my Colnago, rather than a quick fix bodge :lol:

Trek Domane, I've got the 4.5 disc which has an isocoupler on the rear, the SLR also has one around the headset too.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Thanks for all the replies

I've had a professional bike fit and have replicated all the measurements etc, even have the same saddle on both bikes. I was offered a great deal on the K8 hence mu interest.
    However, I am also interested by the BMC GF01 or new Roadmachine, the Cannondale Synapse carbon, the Trek Domane, the Bianchi Infinito CV....
  • fenix
    You've not answered about the tyres ? Is the winter one different ?
  • I run GP4000s, 25mm, at 95psi on both bikes.
  • fenix
    Could you look at dropping the PSI a bit ?

http://road.cc/content/feature/180830-h ... e-pressure
  • frames been sold now anyway.... :(