A bit of help please

arix36
arix36 Posts: 67
edited March 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys i hope you can help me i am after some new shoes my trainers have almost given up the ghost . I ride flat pedals and i dont want to be spending a fortune i would like something that looks good off bike as well as performing on bike.
Also after a new hydration pack are osprey packs any good they do seem quite expensive though

Comments

• arix36
    Money isn't stupid tight iam just not into spending a fortune on stuff that's all
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Get proper MTB flat shoes, with sticky, stiff soles. Worth paying for.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • arix36
    Do they really make that much difference? And what would you recommend
  • cooldad
    Most people use 5.10, I have a couple of pairs of Sombrio, some like Shimano. There's not a hell of a lot of choice, really.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • arix36
    No there's not a whole lot of choice i quite like the look of 5 10's as they still resemble a trainer is there much of a difference between them coz the price sure varies
  • Have you heard of the Geigerrig-Hydration-Engine?

Its a bladder thats surrounded by an outer air bladder. You pump up the air bladder and it pressurises the water bladder so you don't have to suck. Having a low powered water jet isn't useful for just hydration its useful for cleaning as well i.e getting mud out of your eyes.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Hydration ... ion-Engine
  • turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    arix36 wrote:
    No there's not a whole lot of choice i quite like the look of 5 10's as they still resemble a trainer is there much of a difference between them coz the price sure varies
    I've had my 5 10s for years. They're ugly to look at, stay soaked for ages when they get wet and crap for walking in, but they stick to flat pedals like a sticky thing
  • arix36
    turpinr wrote:
    arix36 wrote:
    I've had my 5 10s for years. They're ugly to look at, stay soaked for ages when they get wet and crap for walking in, but they stick to flat pedals like a sticky thing

Oh so not that good a trail shoe at all then. What would recommend them
  • how about 5 10s wrapped in a plastic bag? lolz
  • cooldad
    Have you heard of the Geigerrig-Hydration-Engine?

Its a bladder thats surrounded by an outer air bladder. You pump up the air bladder and it pressurises the water bladder so you don't have to suck. Having a low powered water jet isn't useful for just hydration its useful for cleaning as well i.e getting mud out of your eyes.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Hydration ... ion-Engine
    Sucking is so hard that even new born babies can do it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • timbo_tim
    timbo_tim Posts: 199
    OP I was in a similar position to you on shoes so opted for some stiff flat soled skate shoes. Jury's out on what they look like off the bike but at £30 they were cheaper than the five ten option. Check route one.com or similar (mine are DC Pure if that helps).

In terms of hydration, I bought a cheap camelbak but found storage poor so just dump the hydration bag (which works well) in a normal rucksack, it means you are less restricted and can pick up a bargain anywhere! Hope that helps
  • jeremy1
    jeremy1 Posts: 71
    I only wear Meindl, I have three pair of these and a pair of their black shoes, not cheap but you get what you pay for. One pairs stitching went after three years, repaired FREE by Meindl

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/meindl-m ... lsrc=aw.ds

This weekend I also bought a pair of these, quite amazed by the feel very comfortable but not had them long but for the price if they stay ok they are great
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-mo ... e=18307522

I had two pair of Five Ten Guide Tennie, NEVER again BOTH shoes had insides that split, get Meindl
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    In thirty odd years of riding knarly flats I have tried all sorts of footwear, from Scarpa mountain boots to plimsols and the only ones that cut the mustard have been pucker MTB shoes or grippy scate shoes. At the moment I have a pair of six year old 5.10's and a pair of sticky Duffs, they only ever made this shoe the one time.

When you're bouncing down a trail the only thing that sticks to the pedal is sticky rubber or SPD's. The only times I can remember the pedals biting my shins is when I've been daft enough to wear the wrong footwear.

You can wear anything you like if you are just taking it easy or riding fairly flat ground but once the the ground turns knarly you'd be better off having some decent footwear.

These are not going to break the bank. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/five ... 7C524770UK
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • arix36
    Thanks for the help guys I've just seen some 510 freerider elements in Evans website for £75 these seem quite good and offer a little bit of water protection as well
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    I've been using a Decathlon hydration rucksack, I replaced the bladder after 4 years (as it started to dribble occasionally) with a Camelback one which cost £25 and has a lifetime guarantee.

Shoe wise, I had 5:10s and the grip was amazing, but just watch the soles as they are very soft and not that durable. Shimano and Specialized soles are more durable but at the expense of grip.
  • arix36
    Well i think iam going to go for 510 freerider elements and an osprey viper 13 I can get both of these for just over £100 so quality seems good i like the idea of the amount of grip from the 5 10's and the viper 13 seems to have good capacity for tubes and tools etc with a decent water pack too boot.
    Thanks to everyone who replied youve all been a great help iam glad i joined this site now.

Happy trails
  • turpinr
    robertpb wrote:
    In thirty odd years of riding knarly flats I have tried all sorts of footwear, from Scarpa mountain boots to plimsols and the only ones that cut the mustard have been pucker MTB shoes or grippy scate shoes. At the moment I have a pair of six year old 5.10's and a pair of sticky Duffs, they only ever made this shoe the one time.

When you're bouncing down a trail the only thing that sticks to the pedal is sticky rubber or SPD's. The only times I can remember the pedals biting my shins is when I've been daft enough to wear the wrong footwear.

You can wear anything you like if you are just taking it easy or riding fairly flat ground but once the the ground turns knarly you'd be better off having some decent footwear.

These are not going to break the bank. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/five ... 7C524770UK
    I've had Meindl approach shoes and they're the best I've ever had for that use. I've got Meindl walking boots which are so well made I think they'll outlive me but neither are near 5.10s for sticking to flat pedals.
  • cooldad
    jeremy1 wrote:
    I only wear Meindl,etc....etc....get Meindl

Don't. Those chunky soles are useless on flat pedals.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • jeremy1
    jeremy1 Posts: 71
    cooldad wrote:
    jeremy1 wrote:
    I only wear Meindl,etc....etc....get Meindl

Don't. Those chunky soles are useless on flat pedals.

How do you know what I feel comfortable using, they are fine in fact
  • cooldad
    You might be, the rest of the world might disagree.

If chunky, ridged soles were perfect for flat pedals, the major manufacturers might have caught on to your secret.
    They haven't.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • turpinr
    cooldad wrote:
    You might be, the rest of the world might disagree.

If chunky, ridged soles were perfect for flat pedals, the major manufacturers might have caught on to your secret.
    They haven't.
    The shape of the sole gives it away a bit doesn't it.
    Ie flat soles vs curved chunky soles.
    One sticks to pedals, the other to your legs.