Max tyre width on rims

noodlehat
noodlehat Posts: 10
edited March 2017 in Commuting general
I've got a Scott Speedster S55 that I use for commuting a 10.5 mile each way bumpy, hilly, country road route. approx 1100ft elevation on return journey with a nice 16% part.

Specs says it has Alex Race 28 Aero Profile, 20 Front / 24 Rear which from what I can tell are pretty average/ cheapish rims but seem okay for me.

It came with 23's, i upgrade to 25s and have just now bought 32mm Schwalbe Marathon Supremes for commuting to hopefully make it a less painful experience, think gravel, pot hole tarmac, farm gates etc.

Clearance isnt an issue but will they fit properly in the rims? Ive read about making sure the tyres are not too wide for the rim but can't find any info about these wheels max capacity..

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    They'll be fine. A wider rim would give the tyre a better profile, but it wasn't so many years ago that mountain bike rims for 2" tyres weren't much wider than your rims.
  • noodlehat
    noodlehat Posts: 10
    great thanks, have put on look fine, step too far for the crud mudguards that have had to come off. Hopefully these tyres, new charge spoon saddle and new brake pads will improve my journey!
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I have 19mm Mavic Allorad rims. On the big side I've fitted a 2.1" (54mm) Thunder Burt, it inflates to 2" (50mm), last time I tried Specialized Roubaix 23/25mm were a struggle to fit but went up tubeless without much drama and lasted all summer. I couldnt get a 23mm Vittoria Duo Comp to fit. 28mm-35mm is the sweet spot. Running 30mm Mavic Yksions right now, easy to fit and inflate.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My MTB is on 17mm (internal) Stans rims and runs 2.25% (57mm) tyres no problem......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.