Cannondale CAAD Sizing

MCoolta
MCoolta Posts: 14
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
I'm looking to buy a Cannondale CAAD8 or CAAD10 second hand, for commuting/winter riding, as they have good reviews and they aren't too expensive.

However, I'm unsure on the sizing - I currently ride a Cannondale Synapse size 58 and that seems to fit OK. However, most CAAD10's I've seen on ebay are size 56, so I'm wondering if this would be OK? I'm 6 foot 1 tall, with 32 inside leg. Looking at the search seems to give different opinions.

Any advice? Open to alternative commuting bikes as well if anyone has other suggestions.

Thanks

Comments

• MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Right. I'm smaller than you, riding a 54 Caad10 /SuperSix and the same size Synapse (pre-refresh model). It really depends on your proportions etc. I'm short of leg (29", 5'10). Both bikes fit ok, but I'm much more comfortable on the racier geometry. The CAAD is much more aggressive in fit, so if you find the reach and drop you can get on a 58 Synapse right, you'll be running a lot of spacers on a smaller CAAD10 to get the same position.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    My old CAAD8 came up big. I'm nowhere near your height but I had a 51 CAAD which felt slightly bigger than my 52 Trek. (5 foot 8) the 51 for me wasn't uncomfortable and easy enough to get a perfect fit on. So for me, I would size slightly lower than your normal size.
    Loved it though, really want to build one up for racing but Mrs W would kill me!
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    For god's sake, can you not just google 'synapse geometry' and then 'caad8 geometry' and 'caad10 geometry' in separate windows and then compare them?

The top tube on the Synapse is 6mm longer than both caad's on a size 58.

The head tube on the Synapse is 208mm compared to 190mm on the caad8 and 175mm for the caad10 for a 58.

Dropping to a 56, the top tube is identical (well +1mm on the Synapse) on all 3 bikes but the head tubes range from 186mm on the Synapse down to 155mm on the caad10.

That give you an overall change between the 58 Synapse and a 56 caad of 21mm for the top tube and a whopping 53mm on the head tube ... I'll let you work the rest out ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Deffo 58cm
  • dow8519
    dow8519 Posts: 21
    I have both a Caad10 and synapse in a 58cm and both fit me well.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    If his inseam is really 32"( C. 71cm BB to saddle), then I can't see how with a 60cm seat tube that will fit. He'll have about 7cms seat post showing and have trouble getting any saddle to bar drop.

I had a CAAD 10 58cms , even though being 1/2" taller and 77cms saddle height the shop questioned the size but I wanted the long top tube. Gotta be 56 frame for OP.
  • 56cm
  • My CAAD12 is a 58 and I'm 6ft
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I am 5'11" 32 leg on a 56 caad10 ..... its a good size .... but I do wonder if the 54 would have been better as the bike just feels large underneath me ???

I have a 56 Tricross and a 54 Roubaix .... I am used to the 54 of the Roubaix which is probably why the 56 caad feels large to me, but that said The Roubaix does seem a little small at times.

I think I suffer from the grass is greener syndrome
  • styxd
    6wheels wrote:
    If his inseam is really 32"( C. 71cm BB to saddle), then I can't see how with a 60cm seat tube that will fit. He'll have about 7cms seat post showing and have trouble getting any saddle to bar drop.

I had a CAAD 10 58cms , even though being 1/2" taller and 77cms saddle height the shop questioned the size but I wanted the long top tube. Gotta be 56 frame for OP.

Exactly. The OP has a short inside leg, and hence needs a long top tube. A -17 stem should lower the bars sufficiently.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    Even with a -17 stem he would still be restricted with getting a lower position.

Anyway, the standover height for a 58 frame would mean he would have his nuts crushed, even the same with a 56 frame. :)

He has very unusual proportions, which makes a semi/compact frame more suitable.
  • styxd
    agreed