New HT shopping-any views on Whyte 905 2017

poddy
poddy Posts: 52
edited March 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Treating myself this year to a new hardtail MTB to replace my 9 year old 26 inch Focus Fatboy Hardtail (which has been excellent). Nothing wrong with current bike, have upgraded it over time with new forks etc, just fancy a new bike tbh and want 27.5 rather than 29 inch wheels (only 5ft 6). I'm out most weeks around the likes of Llandegla, Clwydian Hills and occasional trips to the likes of Penmachno, all within easy reach of home.

Almost certain I want another HT for this type of riding. Have been considering between Orange Crush S and Whyte 905 2017.

Does anyone have any views or better still experience of the Whyte 905? Reviews I have seen tend to be okay but say it has a really harsh ride and a bit heavy. Very vain, but I just prefer the look of the Whyte over the Orange.

Any other suggestions welcome-except the direct sales bikes, I want to try out first. For info I'm 50 this year, so not into any massive jumps or mega downhilling, prefer fast flowing routes like Llandegla and Penmachno and occasional XC rides-like to keep my bones in one piece!

Thanks.

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    You could look at a Bird Zero AM, lots of options on spec plus you can try them and probably save some money.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have a look at the Trott MTB at Halfords, amazing value, ignore the 'it's for women' it's a mans frame with colour splashed on it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jeremy1
    jeremy1 Posts: 71
    When I decided to spend £1800 close to yours I had one built to my own spec
  • jeremy1
    jeremy1 Posts: 71
    The Rookie wrote:
    Have a look at the Trott MTB at Halfords, amazing value, ignore the 'it's for women' it's a mans frame with colour splashed on it.

Interesting he/she is asking about a £1,400 bike and you suggest a £400 one ?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Because it's brilliant value, better than many £800 plus bikes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poddy
    poddy Posts: 52
    robertpb wrote:
    You could look at a Bird Zero AM, lots of options on spec plus you can try them and probably save some money.
    Thanks, didn't realise you could try them first, will take a look-you can customize with parts as well to an extent.

Thanks