what version am I running

fat daddy
fat daddy Posts: 2,605
edited March 2017 in Workshop
Hello

I have Ultegra something on one bike and 105 something else on another. ........ how do I tell if its 5700, 5800, 6800 ... its nicely written on cassettes, but I cant find it on the shifters ? ... where do they hide the numbers.

Oh and 105 something is rubbish compared to ultegra something in terms of feel and the speed of the click when you select a gear .... would be nice to cheaply upgrade one of the somethings and move bits around hence the need to know what somethings I have !

thanks

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Peel back the rubber cover on the shifter, the model number is moulded into the plastic of the shifter body
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    105 5600: 10 spd, gear cables out from sides of shifters, not under bar tape
    105 5700 10spd, gear cables under bar tape
    105 5800 11 spd
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • fat daddy
    thanks for that ..... I thought that was the case, but couldn't see it last night ..... perhaps I need to peel it back more or just look harder .. thanks for confirming

ah, cable routing .... now that's a plan as well I assume that will be the same with ultegra as well then
  • svetty
    fat daddy wrote:
    ...ah, cable routing .... now that's a plan as well I assume that will be the same with ultegra as well then
    Yup!
  • drwae
    drwae Posts: 223
    fat daddy wrote:
    Hello

Oh and 105 something is rubbish compared to ultegra something in terms of feel and the speed of the click when you select a gear .... would be nice to cheaply upgrade one of the somethings and move bits around hence the need to know what somethings I have !

I've got a 105 bike and an ultegra bike and shifting is the same... is it adjusted properly
  • vrsmatt
    vrsmatt Posts: 160
    I've switched 6700 Ultegra for 5800 105 and on my first ride I thought how nice the 105 shift action is
    Giant TCR Composite 1, Giant Defy Advanced 2, Boardman Comp, Santa Cruz Heckler, Raleigh M-Trax Ti, Strida LT, Giant Halfway
  • fat daddy
    ah now this is interesting.

The Ultegra is 6600 - and I love the shift action, its like changing gear on a sports car, there is a nice click as you move the shifter over and a definite solid action click, click click

the 105 is a a latter version 5700 .... the shiftiong works fine, it never misses a gear, but it doesn't feel as positive, there is no ratchet clunk as it shifts, you just move the lever and it shifts, there is no real feedback to my hand that its changed, it just feels more removed.

are the newer 105s etc all this quiete spongyfied feeling .... or do anyof them feel like the 6600 with that cocking a gun feel ?
  • svetty
    5800 will shift better than 6600. The front shifting in particular is way better...
  • vrsmatt
    vrsmatt Posts: 160
    5800 is way better than 5700 IMO in terms of shift action.
    Giant TCR Composite 1, Giant Defy Advanced 2, Boardman Comp, Santa Cruz Heckler, Raleigh M-Trax Ti, Strida LT, Giant Halfway
  • drwae
    drwae Posts: 223
    fat daddy wrote:
    ah now this is interesting.

The Ultegra is 6600 - and I love the shift action, its like changing gear on a sports car, there is a nice click as you move the shifter over and a definite solid action click, click click

the 105 is a a latter version 5700 .... the shiftiong works fine, it never misses a gear, but it doesn't feel as positive, there is no ratchet clunk as it shifts, you just move the lever and it shifts, there is no real feedback to my hand that its changed, it just feels more removed.

are the newer 105s etc all this quiete spongyfied feeling .... or do anyof them feel like the 6600 with that cocking a gun feel ?

If you want something clunky get Claris, it's exactly like you described... 5800 and 6800 don't provide very much feedback, (the exception is moving small->big on the front derailleur) why do you need it, surely you can feel with your legs that you changed the gear :shock:
  • fat daddy
    Yeah I just like the confidence inspiring click as you run through the gears .... perhaps I'll get used to the silent treatment