Raleigh Arena

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited April 2017 in Vintage bikes forum
I have been offered a Raleigh arena at what i think is a good price. It is 1981/82.

Original condition with only one owner?

Worth getting? and upgrading?

DSC07618.jpg
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Ah my mate had one back in the day.

Buy it if you want but I'd not upgrade it.
  • rubertoe
    Id change the brakes but that would be it.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    My first "proper" bike. I'd forgotten about the giant rear reflector, but couldn't forget the solid plastic saddle. I spent most of the early 80s cycling around North Kent on one. My parents "got rid of it" for me when I was at University and by then the proud owner of a Raleigh Routier, which I'd bought with my first proper pay packet.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Ultimately, it's nice looking, but there isn't anything special about it. It probably weighs as much as your kaffenback but has much less capacity to slow down.

N+1 is always justifiable, but if you want a vintage bike there's little reason not to spend a few hundred and get something quality with decent Reynolds/Columbus/Tange tubing.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If you fancy doing one of those eroica rides it'd be OK for it - but that does look a bit too nice to be a hack bike around town and a bit too cheap and heavy to be a 'good bike'.

Kickstand too !
  • rubertoe
    Its cheap and its now mine.... Will pick it up later.

Going to change to something with a bit better stopping power and a different saddle and modern pedals but that will be it.

Although definitly want something made from Reynolds - maybe use this as a donor bike when i get a better frame.

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rubertoe wrote:
    Although definitly want something made from Reynolds - maybe use this as a donor bike when i get a better frame.

You'll end up with a spoiled original Raleigh Arena and a spoiled 531 frame if you do that. :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rubertoe
    Rolf F wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

You'll end up with a spoiled original Raleigh Arena and a spoiled 531 frame if you do that. :wink:

Git....

:twisted: :D

• My folks owned Battery Cycles in Plymouth when I was a lad and I worked there for many a summer right through the 80's and 90's - we must have sold hundreds of Arena's, probably THE most popular first proper bike in its day - and made in Nottingham as it should be

Its great to see one in such lovely condition and with all the bits still on it. If it was mine I would love it for what it is - enjoy 8)
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Getting all misty eyed looking at that photo. Exactly like my first bike. Christmas 1979 or 1980 I think. I absolutely loved it. :)
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Deffo worth getting but you can't polish a turd so I'd keep it as stock as poss as cut around on it. It rocks as it is.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rubertoe
    I picked it up over the weekend - its as good as it looks in the pictures, Just needs some general maintenance and some pedals -

Princely Sum of £55

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Bargain.

I am loving the mudguards - proper they are.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Nice buy, as above my first ever proper bike back in the early 80s

Packed lunch, a bottle of squash and 10p for emergency phone call and head off into the countryside for the day with my mate. Happy days
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Fettled one of those a couple of years ago for a mate. It was his first bike and was being handed down to his son. One of the jobs he got me to do was to take the awful plastic seat off, they were made by Brooks though.