Which look pedals for the best bike?

johngti
johngti Posts: 2,508
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
Recent convert to keo pedals, always had time xpressos before. I'm now in need of a new set for my best bike so which are worth splashing a little more cash on? Currently got keo 3 but I'm a bit put off by the lack of a metal plate on the contact area.

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,586
    I have the Keo blade 2 carbon on mine, 12nm.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • johngti
    Daniel B wrote:

How do you like them? They'd probably be at the top end of the budget
  • I put the newer carbon blades on the best bike only to find the front lip shape has been removed and the keo max still have it.
    Doesn't sound like much but its harder to slip your foot in and click in . The lip provides a little key which helps stop your foot slipping over the front of the pedal
    Have a look in a shop close up.
    Didn't buy another set of blades, they are only slightly lighter.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,586
    johngti wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

I really like them, and prefer them to my other Look pedals - I find them easier to clip into, as they generally seem to hang in the right plane, and I can actually clip into them without looking, which was a rarity with the Keo 2's.

Fairly sure ITB had a similar opinion of them.

I think I bought mine for £80 or less - but you have to get lucky with a deal.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Speedplay!
  • johngti
    Its threads like this that remind me of a story I heard in teacher training about a student teacher in Liverpool doing a lesson on pie charts. He asked the class what colour their football team wears. 50% said red and 50% said blue :)

Keep the opinions coming though, very grateful for the input. I'm a definite convert as there are occasions where I walk and the xpresso cleats are horrible for that!
  • johngti
    cougie wrote:
    Speedplay!

See above! I tried speedplay a couple of years ago. I think the float didn't suit me :)
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    I have a set of new Keo blade 2 Carbon's for sale if interested ? They have only been used for 1 ride. I've moved back to SPD-SL's which i prefer. They are in the original box and come with a pair of cleats,washers and bolts. They are pretty light around 190g a set. 230g with cleats iirc
  • Daniel B wrote:
    johngti wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

I really like them, and prefer them to my other Look pedals - I find them easier to clip into, as they generally seem to hang in the right plane, and I can actually clip into them without looking, which was a rarity with the Keo 2's.

If these are the same ones (there seem to be a lot with virtually the same name but quite different prices), they are £47.99 at the moment.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/look ... prod129042
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • johngti
    trailflow wrote:
    I have a set of new Keo blade 2 Carbon's for sale if interested ? They have only been used for 1 ride. I've moved back to SPD-SL's which i prefer. They are in the original box and come with a pair of cleats,washers and bolts. They are pretty light around 190g a set. 230g with cleats iirc

Interested, can you DM me a couple of pics and a price?
  • johngti
    trailflow wrote:

Interested, can you DM me a couple of pics and a price?
  • johngti
    Daniel B wrote:
    johngti wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

If these are the same ones (there seem to be a lot with virtually the same name but quite different prices), they are £47.99 at the moment.

Thanks for the link might well end up using that later today. I'd had a search but got a little lost in the sheer number of options..
  • johngti
    johngti wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    johngti wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Thanks for the link might well end up using that later today. I'd had a search but got a little lost in the sheer number of options..

Well this'll teach me to think about things! The 12NM in black are now sold out. Bugger.
  • johngti
    Went with http://www.wiggle.co.uk/look-keo-2-max-pedals/ in the end - pretty light and cheapish and a good deal I think. Thanks for all the advice!
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    I have the top end Carbon Ti's and they're great but are known to squeak.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Ryan_W wrote:
    I have the top end Carbon Ti's and they're great but are known to squeak.

It's not the pedal squeaking - it's the grip cleats.
  • johngti
    Now you tell me!! To be fair, the xpressos were always a bit noisy too.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    johngti wrote:

Just don't buy the grip cleats when you need to replace them. Buy the non grip ones. If the grips creak, spray a bit of GT85 on the pedal - no creak.

All five of my bikes have Look pedals (4 have Blade 2 Ti). You've not made a bad decision.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    johngti wrote:

Just don't buy the grip cleats when you need to replace them. Buy the non grip ones. If the grips creak, spray a bit of GT85 on the pedal - no creak.

All five of my bikes have Look pedals (4 have Blade 2 Ti). You've not made a bad decision.

Cheers for the info. Never knew they made non-grip cleats.

Will order some and see how I go.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I like the blade - 16 nm is as high as I would go though - I seem to remember that was the middle option of three when I bought mine so went for that and they *very* secure and do require a bit of force to unclip - and I am not particularly small - in fact currently somewhat larger than I'd like !!
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    The best Look pedals are: SPD SL's .....
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    + explosive "CLACK" noise as you clip in is cool
    + loads lighter than Shimano (ti axle carbon body)

- disintegrate if you knock them/look at them harshly (carbon body one)
    - slightly harder to clip out of than Shimano (16Nm)
    - some people have creaking
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I ran dura pedals then went to the look Ti axle carbon spring (16nm). The looks are fine, I switched as I run vector on my other bike and switching shoes was becoming painful. With pedals I always go as light as I can on the basis it's rotating mass.

Have to say though that I prefer the dura spd-sl system. The slightly wider base and more positive engagement feel nicer to me.

Thanks for the squeaking fix posted above, drove me nuts yesterday!