Power Meter - Crank loyalty

jacksoneaker
jacksoneaker Posts: 60
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
I've been convinced that I need a power meter. I'm either going wth the 4iiii or stages.

Because I'm always trying to n+1, should I adopt a new crank style that I'll be able to transfer across in the future? My current bike is 105 5800.

I don't want to acquire a cross bike an not be able to get power off of it. Is shimano a versatile enough system that I should commit to it?

Thanks,
Jackson

Comments

• My first considerations if buying a PM would be accuracy & reliability.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Is shimano a versatile enough system that I should commit to it?
    Yes, virtually every frame out there will support a Shimano Hollowtech chainset through one adapter or another.
    I'm either going wth the 4iiii or stages.
    This is the bigger issue; I appreciate budget is always a concern, but if you're already going to invest a considerable sum in a power meter, honestly you are much better off saving a little bit more and buying something that's actually going to measure whole power rather than left-only.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Whoever has convinced the public that Stages is a product worth buying, presumably their marketing director, he needs to be knighted. Never before has something so shit been sought out by so many people. It's incredible.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Buy a Power2Max Rotor 3d24 and just swap it across your bikes.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • fishyweb
    fishyweb Posts: 173
    Or get a PowerPod. Easily transferred between bikes.
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/287459
    Member of http://www.UKnetrunner.co.UK - the greatest online affiliated running club
  • Grill
    fishyweb wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:
  • okgo wrote:
    Whoever has convinced the public that Stages is a product worth buying, presumably their marketing director, he needs to be knighted. Never before has something so shoot been sought out by so many people. It's incredible.

It probably has more to do with so many people having different opinions to you.
    Also it is probably an American in charge of marketing which would mean it would be inappropriate to even speak of knighthoods.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Get the 4iiii not the Stages - the latter is blighted with issues.

If you're concerned about Left/Right balance then have a go on a wattbike and see if you have an imbalance issue - 4iiii will let you account for it if you want to via its software.

For me swapping a chainset between bikes wouldn't be practical so, knowing I don't have any imablance issue worth noting, left crank only is a smart option.
  • fishyweb
    Grill wrote:
    fishyweb wrote:

No, really, you can transfer it between bikes really easily.

And, by the way, it is a pretty good power meter as well. There may be some who would rather pay several times as much money for a direct force meter but, if they are outputting the same numbers, I frankly don't see the point.
    Member of http://www.UKnetrunner.co.UK - the greatest online affiliated running club
  • Grill
    fishyweb wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    fishyweb wrote:

No, really, you can transfer it between bikes really easily.

And, by the way, it is a pretty good power meter as well. There may be some who would rather pay several times as much money for a direct force meter but, if they are outputting the same numbers, I frankly don't see the point.

I might trust an aerostick one day, but never that. Data quality is everything.
  • fishyweb
    Agreed, and I'm very impressed with the quality of the PP's data.
  • Grill
    In comparison to what?
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    okgo wrote:
    Whoever has convinced the public that Stages is a product worth buying, presumably their marketing director, he needs to be knighted. Never before has something so shoot been sought out by so many people. It's incredible.

Having had to grind a year old FSA crankset off a bike, any system based on Shimano crank would be a big plus for me.

Will my Quarq, with a similar tapered spline system, ever come off? Who knows!

If I get one for my good bike I'm tempted to just go Dura Ace.
  • fishyweb
    Grill wrote:
    In comparison to what?
    To my effort output. Correlates very closely with sessions I've done on a Wattbike, and provides total power (unlike left-only meters). Others have done direct comparisons with DFPMs as well with very positive results (as I imagine you're aware).

Personally, I think folk can be too quick to dismiss innovations like this, just because it is different to some perceived norm. Which is fine of course. In the meantime, I'm very happy with the results, and with the surplus hundreds of pounds which are still in my bank account.
  • Grill
    fishyweb wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    In comparison to what?
    To my effort output. Correlates very closely with sessions I've done on a Wattbike, and provides total power (unlike left-only meters). Others have done direct comparisons with DFPMs as well with very positive results (as I imagine you're aware).

Personally, I think folk can be too quick to dismiss innovations like this, just because it is different to some perceived norm. Which is fine of course. In the meantime, I'm very happy with the results, and with the surplus hundreds of pounds which are still in my bank account.

If you'd have said that you can't speak to the accuracy, but you're happy with it nonetheless, then fine. But seriously trying to tell me that you think the PowerPod has qualitative data based on RPE and Wattbike numbers? That's just insane.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Haha, this thread is great.

Tell me, how well does the PowerPod work on the turbo trainer?
  • fishyweb wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    In comparison to what?

lol
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    fishyweb wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    In comparison to what?

If they were that good bud, rest assured Zwift would be all over them .. but they aint... why do you run anyways and need a power meter?

On a side note, am I the only f ucker who has had absolutely no problem with a Stages crank?
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    You do have a problem, like every other owner out there. Its spitting out a number based on two legs being identical, which most aint.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • JGSI wrote:
    fishyweb wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    In comparison to what?

If they were that good bud, rest assured Zwift would be all over them .. but they aint... why do you run anyways and need a power meter?

On a side note, am I the only f ucker who has had absolutely no problem with a Stages crank?

Do you have a stages? Or just see sound logic?