Sora R3000?

onionmk
onionmk Posts: 101
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
Anyone tried the new sora? What are your thoughts and/or experiences?

I'm considering purchasing for my bike which currently has sora 3400/3500 components. Front shifting is rubbish and I feel the hoods could be more comfortable. The newer sora has a long arm front derailleur and the ergonomics of the hoods is more like higher end groups. Could this solve my problems?

Full groupo for £200 on Ribble ATM - £60 less than tiagra and £150 less than 105. I could also make use of my current cassettes and chains which is a plus.

Comments

• I assume that modern 105 ergonomics and deraliuer style have trickled down. My 5800 Group is amazing. If the new sora has its characteristics, it'd be a great group.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    As above. 105 5800 is a great groupset so a cheaper version with the same slick shifting a feel would be a bargain.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    It's been a few years since I had a Sora equipped bike and I don't know about the very latest version but the earlier one worked OK, although IMHO, just about OK (but I only formed that view after experience with other groupsets further up the Shimano range - before that, I actually thought that Sora was pretty good!). I have had Tiagra 4600 bikes for some time and ridden a 4700 bike a couple of times and they are both way better than Sora with, as you would expect, 4700 having the edge. At the end of the day, it really depends upon how much that extra £60 means to you. To me it's not a lot and the choice would be a no brainer - go up to at least Tiagra 4700. Indeed, I personally would probably spring for 105 but if the extra cost is too much for you and the 11th cog on the back doesn't matter (which I doubt it would as, depending on the iteration of Sora, you have been using 8 or 9 until now), I believe Tiagra is the answer for you.

You haven't said what bike you have but other things you might need to consider are:

I am sure that other, more knowledgeable, people will chip in but are you sure about re-using your chain and cassette. Even if that was technically possible, it doesn't make much sense to me. BUT You might also find that your wheels are incompatible with 10/11 speed which would mean upping the budget again!

It should go without saying but any groupset is only as good as it's set up. I'm not aiming this at you personally but, IME, people sometimes blame the groupset for poor shifting when a proper set up could solve the problem.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    Sora R3400 had the dodgy buttons on the top but R3500 had proper dual controls, so was much better. R3000 is another step on but its a faff and expense changing groupset; so to me its only worth doing if its a major improvement. I wouldn't bother myself - you'd just be changing one 9 speed groupset for another of similar weight which is newer and a bit slicker; that's about it.

If you really want a new groupset, then if your wheels can take 11 speed go 105. If your wheels can't then you should still be able to go Tiagra, which is slicker than what you've got, lighter and gives you an extra cog. If you're worried about the extra £60/150 then wait or don't bother with the upgrade at all; there are other, more bang for buck upgrades out there e.g. wheels, tyres and clothes (and don't underestimate that last one...)
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    For an extra £60, the new Tiagra can't be beaten.

I have Tiagra 4700 on the winter/commuter and 105 5800 on the summer bike and can't notice the difference. It feels and works the same, only 1 less cog on the back and probably a couple of hundred grams (if that) difference.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    another one for the 4700.

(although i have just bought a 5800 groupset)
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills