Anyone got a set of Hunt Wide Aero Carbon wheels?

sparky48
sparky48 Posts: 2
edited March 2017 in Workshop
Hi, I have just invested in a set of these great looking wheels. but after less than 100 miles they have developed an obvious score line in the brake track. Hunt say they have not seen this before, but i wondered if anyone else has experienced this?
I have showed the wheels to a few people and the general feeling is this should not happen. I have checked for anything obvious in the brake pads and there is a line running through their length which marries up with the damage.

I'd appreciate any feedback from other owners

Cheers

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    OK,

here's my thoughts: you picked up some debris, which has scored rim and pads... now you question whether this should happen on an expensive pair of wheels... I think no wheel is immune to that, no matter how much you pay for it
    left the forum March 2023
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    ^What he said. A small stone can flick up, particularly in wet weather, and stick to the rim...then you don't even need to brake for it to get caught in the gap between brake pad and rim and bingo...there's a nice score line. Clean your bike, grit gone leaving the rider to ponder on the cause.

Good news is that the scoring should only be cosmetic and after a few more hundred miles the rest of the rim will start wearing down so that the score is invisible. If you can still see it, ride some more!
  • Sounds like debris as has been said - but - you write there is line on the pads (plural) that matches the score on the rim. If thats correct it seems hugely unlikely that debris could get trapped, in the same place, on both pads, at the same time and score both faces of the rim simultaneously. Photos of the rim and pads would help clarify ...
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    If both wheels are scored then it might be worth checking to see if they are wear indicators? My old Mavic Aksiums used this simply method rather than the dot that Shimano and others tend to use.