What would it take you to dope?

2»

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Term1te wrote:
    Years ago I was into running and agreed to enter a relay marathon. The day before the event I went down with a nasty cold, on the morning of the event my nose was streaming, I was coughing, had a sore throat and earache. Not wanting to let the others down, I took every medication I could find in the bathroom cabinet and ran five miles in a strange daze. If nothing else I would have failed a test for pseudoephedrine. I'm not sure if it helped to get me around the course any quicker, but it helped to get me into my running kit and to the start line.

I can justify myself, as I didn't want to let the others down, I was clearly ill, and it was only half a step above a fun run. Where I think it gets a bit more dodgy is when you see so many people at the beginning of an event, or even just a club ride, puffing away on Ventolin inhalers to prevent "exercise-induced bronchoconstriction".

I think "low level doping" if you can call it that, is not too difficult to justify to oneself on the grounds of health, or aiding recovery. But that doesn't make it right, and can be the first step on a slippery slope.

I always hit the ventolin before hills (pollen count is higher on highs)

Always makes me laugh when people say ventolin is not performance enhancing
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    For most guys I know the most effective PED for them would be salad washed down with some Slimfast.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,419
    Some dope...

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Tbh, it would br quite interesting to read people's views today as opposed to bsck in 2017....
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,022
    Post Covid, Mrs HD regularly uses a Salbuterol based inhaler to counter the effects of poor breathing whilst running.
    I've also used it for no other reason other than to see what happens. Which incidentally, for me, was nothing.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    edited March 2022
    Since this has come up...I had several days worth of 40mg Prednisolone doses (I think it was 40mg) left over after being given an accidental double prescription for an asthma attack, so I took them over the course of a trip to the Alps. I've tried cycling after finishing a strong course and gone like the clappers, this time I took them at the peak of my cycling health / fitness. Absolutely smashed it!
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,419
    Some dope...

Since this has come up...I had several days worth of 40mg Prednisolone doses (I think it was 40mg) left over after being given an accidental double prescription for an asthma attack, so I took them over the course of a trip to the Alps. I've tried cycling after finishing a strong course and gone like the clappers, this time I took them at the peak of my cycling health / fitness. Absolutely smashed it!

I was on a very high dose of Prednisolone during lockdown summer 2020. It was awesome (apart from the life threatining thing it was treating). I had so much energy - went to bed at 1am and up at 5am. Replumbed our house. Painted inside and outside our house. Set all my PB's on local segments which is a real bummer as I can't attain anywhere near the same times now. I was on them for 3.5 months and then had to taper for another 2.5 months until I could stop. Apparently they can really fck your kidneys if you cold-turkey.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,786
    FYI - This thread was resurrected by a spammer whose post has been deleted.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    edited March 2022
    pblakeney said:

FYI - This thread was resurrected by a spammer whose post has been deleted.

but its interesting to see different people's opinions, non?

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I would gladly take anything which didn’t have major side effects, if it helped my arthritic hip, wrists, fingers, dodgy back, neck, knees, ankles, toes, shoulders and elbows.
    Also if it wasn’t contraindicated with red wine.
  • MattFalle
    webboo said:

I would gladly take anything which didn’t have major side effects, if it helped my arthritic hip, wrists, fingers, dodgy back, neck, knees, ankles, toes, shoulders and elbows.
    Also if it wasn’t contraindicated with red wine.

nothing in this world is contraindicated with red wine.

anyone who says different is lying and deserves a punch on the nose.
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    There is a retired pro in our local group ride, and he still has a FTP of 380W drugs free, which is as strong as riders in the Tour de France.

So unless your FTP is above 380W, don’t even bother with doping as the problem is somewhere else.
  • webboo
    zest28 said:

There is a retired pro in our local group ride, and he still has a FTP of 380W drugs free, which is as strong as riders in the Tour de France.

So unless your FTP is above 380W, don’t even bother with doping as the problem is somewhere else.

Did he get a ride in the tour. No? I guess the problems somewhere else :'(
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    zest28 said:

Ummm. I hate to ask the obvious question?

How come my twenty quid kettle could scold your ex pro mate?

3000w, THREE THOUSAND WATTS!!! That's 7.89 times more powerful.

It doesn't just waste a load of energy for nowt either, it provides a stimulating beverage at the end of it.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,259
    A my age one wants to consider HRT… replacing a bit of depleted testosterone wouldn’t be a bad thing… 😇
    left the forum March 2023
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,786

A my age one wants to consider HRT… replacing a bit of depleted testosterone wouldn’t be a bad thing… 😇

Take a look at the Annoyed thread for further info....
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338

hmmm, but you're still a youngster on here.
  • focuszing723
    Clearing the daft draft.
  • focuszing723
    Clearing the daft draft.
  • focuszing723
    Clearing the daft draft.
  • webboo

Clearing the daft draft.

It will only take one more of your clearing the drafts post and I will be IV any old drug even the cats worming stuff.
  • MattFalle
    webboo said:

Clearing the daft draft.

It will only take one more of your clearing the drafts post and I will be IV any old drug even the cats worming stuff.
    IV be old hat, dude.

IO is the way forward.
  • focuszing723
    edited May 2022
    webboo said:

Clearing the daft draft.

Yep, don't I feel the ar$eh0le. I'm wallowing in draft freedom now though.

All you need is a kettle putting out 3kw, n' you're sorted.