Looking to upgrade - wheelset or groupset?

boneshaker44
boneshaker44 Posts: 5
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
I've ridden a Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport (https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/searchl ... id=3052324) for two seasons now. I decided to purchase this bike because it was an affordable carbon frame.

Two seasons later, I've become obsessed with riding and I am looking to upgrade my bike. I've ridden in a few gran fondos and have finished in the top 10%, and I'm looking to improve. I'm 1.90m tall, weigh 90kg, with an athletic frame. I would say climbing is my weakness right now given my weight.

I've done some research and have read that one spot that fully built bikes go cheap is the wheels - the Axis 2.0 wheels are heavy according to a lot of . I've also considered an Ultegra groupset given that a lot of the components on my current bike are Tiagra.

Question is: what is best to upgrade first - wheelset or groupset? Is this bike worth upgrading at all?

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Definitely wheels first - you can quite easily get something considerably lighter and more aero (and with less rolling resistance if you get wider rims).

You'll lose a bit of weight with the groupset upgrade, but won't make any of the other gains. You might be able to find the right gear easier, but you haven't mentioned any problems there.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Unless your groupset breaks - you won't notice any difference in upgrading it - and its an expensive way to do things.

At 90kg there's got to be some timber you could lose that'd help your performance more than a few grammes on a groupset.

As Timothy says - new wheels prob the best bet and you can always take those over to a new bike in years to come.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618
    Do you know how much your existing wheels weigh? If it's up towards 2kg then may be worth upgrading. If they're 1600-1700g then you're only going to be saving 100-200g unless you spend big so probably not worth bothering changing them until you wear them out.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Neither, tyres is the answer to the first priority.

If you want to climb better then lose some weight by sticking with riding with the current wheelset and work harder. Set yourself a target, get down to 85kg and then reward yourself with some new wheels. The wheels won't actually help you climb better (that will be the 5kg weight loss) but just looking down at them will put a smile on your face knowing that, by God, you've earned them.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    An effective maintenance programme and better tyres. Those two will make more difference than any amount of money spent elsewhere.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I'm not saying anything .....
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Buy an awesome new bike on 0% finance, preferably Italian everything. You'll feel great every time you get on it, want to ride more and unless you're old get faster ......... even if it is nothing to do with the bike.
  • hambini
    hambini Posts: 113
    To echo what everyone else said, the tyres first because you get the biggest bang for your buck. Second is wheels. They contribute more to drag than the frame.