Oakley Jawbreaker Prizm

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
My Jawbreakers flew off my helmet last night whilst descending a hill and into the path of an oncoming car, safe to say that the car didnt avoid them and the result was a deconstructed pair of Oakleys that IMO cannot be repaired.

So I am in the market for a new pair, and after some brief searches on the net the cheapest I can find is around £107 for a pair of Prizm Jawbreakers in white and black.

Does anyone know of any cheaper than that, preferably with the Prizm lenses? 8)
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    JesseD wrote:
    My Jawbreakers flew off my helmet last night whilst descending a hill and into the path of an oncoming car, safe to say that the car didnt avoid them and the result was a deconstructed pair of Oakleys that IMO cannot be repaired.

So I am in the market for a new pair, and after some brief searches on the net the cheapest I can find is around £107 for a pair of Prizm Jawbreakers in white and black.

Does anyone know of any cheaper than that, preferably with the Prizm lenses? 8)

Speak to Oakley, they used to offer a crash replacement/breakage service. Used to be circa 40% discount-worth a shot..
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    The problem with crash replacement policies is that they are generally a discount on RRP. So the £107 is still probably the cheaper option.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • JesseD
    have emailed Oakley and will see what they say, but I think Bender maybe right, I doubt they will be able to match the power of the tinternet
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Get the M2s they are cheaper and better IMO
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Just bought a pair for 90 on wiggle. White though, TDF edition

Edit: sold out now. Soz.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Why go cheap? Go personal and make sure you get the arms the right length.

86312921-9AF7-4AA0-AB73-4CA762885BC6_zps8vc08b12.jpg6C05541F-BFB9-4B39-846D-CABDB7CEE067_zpseqta9123.jpg
  • JesseD wrote:
    My Jawbreakers flew off my helmet last night whilst descending a hill and into the path of an oncoming car,

Why weren't you wearing them?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • JesseD
    JesseD wrote:
    My Jawbreakers flew off my helmet last night whilst descending a hill and into the path of an oncoming car,

Because it had started to get dark and the misty type rain had made seeing through them almost impossible.
  • JesseD
    izza wrote:

86312921-9AF7-4AA0-AB73-4CA762885BC6_zps8vc08b12.jpg6C05541F-BFB9-4B39-846D-CABDB7CEE067_zpseqta9123.jpg

Very nice, dare I ask how much?

Played about with the colour combos on Oakleys website and for what I built I was looking close to £250!!
  • JesseD
    solboy10 wrote:
    Get the M2s they are cheaper and better IMO

I do quite like the M2 XL's and also the Radar EV Pitch, I much prefer the look of the larger lense
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Mate of mine loves black. He went for custom black Oakleys - paid the premium for them and then realised that they basically do the same design as a standard. D'oh !
  • izza
    JesseD wrote:

Very nice, dare I ask how much?

Played about with the colour combos on Oakleys website and for what I built I was looking close to £250!!

About that - although if you already have a pair then send off for wrapping at a cost of £120-ish including all the postage.
  • izza
    JesseD wrote:
    JesseD wrote:

Because it had started to get dark and the misty type rain had made seeing through them almost impossible.

I use Prizm trail lenses for non-sunny weather or even night time/early morning. Lens tint is yellow so car headlights all look French but they let in more than twice the light than Prizm Road.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    izza wrote:

You need to clean those lenses! :shock:
  • izza
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    You need to clean those lenses! :shock:

That was pure sweat - couldn't find the scratch and sniff option when uploading the image. However, I take your point and am on the case.
  • JesseD
    edited March 2017
    Radar EV Pitch looks like an option as well, tried a pair on at lunchtime and they are as big as the Jawbreakers but have the silicone on the arms which grips the helmet vents better on my Synthe, the Jawbreaker look better IMO but the arms don't grip as well due to the plastic used.

Anyone used ACycle, they have some good deals on Oakleys at the moment?
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I've just got a set of Radar Prizm's from Red Hot Sunglasses for £99. Fit is much better for me than Jawbreaker.
    https://www.redhotsunglasses.co.uk/sung ... rail-p8922
  • JesseD
    Anyone got a Giro Synthe and Oakley jawbreakers?

How do you find storing the Jawbreakers on the Helmet in the glasses ports (or whatever they are called), do they hold well?
  • Get photochromics and keep the hydrophobic coating in good nick. If you don't have to take your glasses off in changeable conditions you won't lose them or get road crap in your eyes.
  • shamrock134
    shamrock134 Posts: 714
    JesseD wrote:
    Anyone got a Giro Synthe and Oakley jawbreakers?

How do you find storing the Jawbreakers on the Helmet in the glasses ports (or whatever they are called), do they hold well?

I have a size M Synthe and Jawbreakers. It's secure enough if you put them in properly that even with shaking the helmet they don't fall out.

That said, I'm still too paranoid to use the ports just in case they fall out and smash. :lol:
  • JesseD
    Shamrock134 good to know as I have just bought a new pair in black and white with Prizm lenses!