£3k 150mm trail bike

Spangle12
Spangle12 Posts: 29
edited March 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, hoping for some buying advice. I'm in the throws of researching my new bike purchase to death and now i'm a bit stuck.

I currently don't own a mountain bike but I used to ride all the time, i only gave it up because motorbikes got in the way and I moved to London. I've still kept up riding at trail centres hiring bikes or going demo days when I can. I've also done a week hiring a DH bike in Morzine last summer. So my riding is still intermittently ticking over and my preference is riding more aggressive trails and DH. However I accept that 90% of 'trail' riding in the UK isn't really that aggressive in the scheme of things and always requires you to pedal to the top. I don't have a car but living in London offers the unique opportunity that there actually so many places you can get to that are easily accessible by train. I do have MTB mates with a car too.

That in mind i was almost convinced I wanted a Whtye T130 RS and i demo'd one and could have happily bought it if I hadn't been convinced to try the G160RS. I expected it to be overkill and boring on the trails in the Surrey hills but i was so wrong. It pedalled just as well up the hills and was more fun down the hills. The other massive appeal of it was that it would be capable of a week of chairlift access in the Alps, whereas the T130 would get out of its depth I imagine.

My head says the T130 is the more appropriate bike (given i'll usually be riding to and from train stations to get to my trails) but my heart wants more travel and alpine potential!

Now my list is considering the G160 RS (£3350), the Canyon Spectral AL7.0 EX (£2949) & the YT Jeffsy 27 CF One (£2899).

I loved the G160 but it's hard to ignore the cost savings and higher specs on the Canyon and YT. Even carbon fibre on the YT (but not SRAM eagle). Does anyone have any riding experience on all 3 or been in a similar quandary?

I know what ever I end up with i'll thoroughly enjoy as long as i've researched every aspect, otherwise i'll end up with a niggle of doubt.

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I'd add this to the list as you can spec it yourself.

https://www.bird.bike/new-aeris-145-pre-order/
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Spangle12
    That's a great looking bike! Yet more to add to the dilemma of choice.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
  • Spangle12
    The transition is nice but for the same spec it's not in the same price point so that rules that one out.
    I like the look of the air drop edit but again it doesn't compete with the specs of the canyon & YT. Maybe more like the lower spec of the G160 S (not RS). I like that it's designed in Sheffield though. Still between that and the Bird, the bird has it on spec and price.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You can talk to the guy who designed the Bird, and also puts them together, sells them, guarantees them and rides them. And discuss pretty much any custom spec you want. It's a small company.
    That might make a difference to some people.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    £10 will get you a Bird demo bike @ Swinley.
  • poah
    Spangle12 wrote:
    The transition is nice but for the same spec it's not in the same price point so that rules that one out.
    I like the look of the air drop edit but again it doesn't compete with the specs of the canyon & YT. Maybe more like the lower spec of the G160 S (not RS). I like that it's designed in Sheffield though. Still between that and the Bird, the bird has it on spec and price.
    forget about looking at the spec of the components, for the most part they work the same but are just a bit heavier. comparing to YT and canyon is pointless on price. Bird is good on spec and price. I'd have my bike even if it came with deore spec brakes and gears because its that good a ride so don't rule a bike out just because it does have the higher end brakes or gears (deore to XTR work the same). Given the way YT and canyon seem to operate their customer service there is no way I'd buy one of their bikes.
  • Spangle12
    JGTR wrote:

Yeah, i've dropped the guys at bird an email. The more I read about the Aeris the more I like it.

Re the comment about the transition and spec I just can't agree. While the frame may be the best frame in the world ever, you still want decent suspension and wheels. I agree groupsets just get lighter with price but eagle does offer better functionality with that massive ring.
  • poah
    Spangle12 wrote:
    JGTR wrote:

Yeah, i've dropped the guys at bird an email. The more I read about the Aeris the more I like it.

Re the comment about the transition and spec I just can't agree. While the frame may be the best frame in the world ever, you still want decent suspension and wheels. I agree groupsets just get lighter with price but eagle does offer better functionality with that massive ring.

just wait till you have to replace it ;) but it sounds like you want eagle over anything else.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    POAH wrote:
    Spangle12 wrote:
    JGTR wrote:

just wait till you have to replace it ;) but it sounds like you want eagle over anything else.

Not everyone is a poor peasant like you.

And me.

A full Eagle drivetrain is almost what I spent on my current bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • poah
    cooldad wrote:

Not everyone is a poor peasant like you.

And me.

A full Eagle drivetrain is almost what I spent on my current bike.[/quote]

maybe you bought a bike that's way overpriced like mine ;) I don't need an Eagle drive train, wouldn't use all the gears
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    POAH wrote:
    maybe you bought a bike that's way overpriced like mine ;) I don't need an Eagle drive train, wouldn't use all the gears

Do you ride that slowly then. :)
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • poah
    robertpb wrote:
    POAH wrote:

Do you ride that slowly then. :)

don't ride down straight smooth hills nor do I need the 50t to climb either.