Which shoes and pedals

vince133
vince133 Posts: 61
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi

I am looking to replace my shoes and change from SPD to SPD SL as I am increasing my mileage this year. I have found 2 possible pairs of shoes and was looking for any personal views/opinions on which to buy. I have tried them both on and both appear to fit well.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/giro-savix-road-shoe/

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized ... e-EV285778

Any views on which pedal system also appreciated. Time/look or Shimano.

Any help appreciated. Haven't used SPD SL system before, I've researched pro,s and cons and think it will suit me on longer rides.

Comments

• vince133
    Any other shoe suggestions would also be appreciated.
  • shing83
    shing83 Posts: 61
    Hard to advise on what shoes you should buy as it's a personal thing and dependent on the shape of your foot. For reference, I use Lake CX237 which I bought used from eBay. I bought it mostly because of the supple upper and wide-ish fit. This mean the upper would wrap around my foot, which meant the shoe adapted to my feet as opposed to the other way around, and the wide-ish fit meant I got no hotspots on the sole of my feet. Best thing to do if possible is to try and buy from your lbs.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,587
    Shoes are a very personalo thing - my advice would be to order a handful of likely makes that fall within your budget, and then return the ones you don't get on with - choose somewhere with free returns if you are going this route, OR somewhere with a physical shop where you can return them for free, such as Halfords, Evans, etc etc

Mavic, Diadora, and Sidi are my personal faves - my foot shape does not get on with Shimano.

Same with pedals really - I have SPD-SL on my turbo bike, purely because I bought a set and wanted to use them, but on my other bikes I have Look pedals.
    6 of 1, half a dozen of another.

All I would say, is if you are going to walk any distance, get some cleat covers, they don't wear in the same way as SPD!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    shoes that fit. Buy shoes that fit.
  • vince133
    Thanks for your replies. I will be doing the rounds and trying on and purchasing from a local bike shop. I will add the RC 7,s to my potential list. Thanks again.