Merida Ride internal Cables Problem

comsense
comsense Posts: 245
edited March 2017 in Workshop
Installing new cables and I thought if I left the outer casing in place and ran in the new inners it should be easy. Thought I'd then be able to run the new outers along the new inners.

BUT

the front inner was supposed to run inside a length of red " guide casing tube" but this tube got lost inside the downtube.

I used new gear casing run through the cable hole in bottom bracket all the way up to the hole near the head tube. this worked and guided the new inner out the B.B - so far so good.

My question is : Should I now leave this out casing in there or remove it? If I remove it should the cable inner do its job without harming inner of down tube?

Thanks for any info, this is my first time doing internal cabling :oops:

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    What you're supposed to do with Merida internal cabling, is leave the outers in place and remove the inners.

Thread a sacrificed length of inner from the rear in the outer all the way to the shifter.

Remove the outer partly by pulling towards the shifters.

Thread the new outer over the sacrificed inner from the rear at the same time pulling the old outer towards the shifters.

Remove the sacrificed inner and thread the new inner from the shifters.

There's a foam tube in the downtube that the outer has to go through. As long as you've got an inner cable running the length, you should be able to get the outer to fit in place.

https://youtu.be/S7DBD_4L5dU
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • comsense
    comsense Posts: 245
    Thanks for video and advise philthy. Got it in the end