STEM Size

NucDidds
NucDidds Posts: 15
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi

Based upon some other posts re stem length I think I need to shorten mine so that when I am on the hoods the hub is obscured by the bar.

My question is how much shorter should I aim for? My existing stem is standard 100 but how much difference does each 10mm make. Does anyone have any guidelines they could share?

Thanks

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    NucDidds wrote:
    Hi

Based upon some other posts re stem length I think I need to shorten mine so that when I am on the hoods the hub is obscured by the bar.

My question is how much shorter should I aim for? My existing stem is standard 100 but how much difference does each 10mm make. Does anyone have any guidelines they could share?

Thanks

The hub thing is just a guideline based on anecdote, not a scientific fact. There are too many variables for anyone to suggest how much you should shorten your stem by - or even if it needs shortening at all.

If it helps though, each 10mm makes about 10mm difference.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Just buy a load from CRC or similar, fit them one at a time taking care not to scratch them and when you find the one that works best just send the rest back.

If you don't fancy doing that your local shop will probably have a load of old scuzzy ones tha they will sell you for a couple of pounds each just buy them. Then try as above.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.