Sweat from Cycle Helmets some better than others?

baileyjb
baileyjb Posts: 41
edited March 2017 in Road general
Hi
I currently have a specialized Lid and finding in the summer sweat from my bold head drips directly into my eyes, When I was on holiday I hired a bike and the helmet that came with the bike (forgot to make a note of the make) the sweat seemed to roll more to the side. So not directly into my eyes.
Does anyone know if some helmets are better designed for sweat to flow away from your face than others? Looking to get a new lid as the weather is getting better.

Thanks

Comments

• bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Sweat band (a la John McEnroe)
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    I've been collecting sweat from cycle helmets for a while now; I sneak up and take swab at the cafe.
    Some is definitely better than others!
    I have quite a collection now, but my parole officer is not so impressed.
  • rnath
    rnath Posts: 176
    Wear a cycling cap under your helmet.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    rnath wrote:
    Wear a cycling cap under your helmet.

I was just about to say this - great advice: chapeau in fact!
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    Grow your eyebrows.
  • Matthewfalle
    You can also get sunnier with a little sweat band thing above the eyes built in.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    if you ride a little faster it will evaporate: You're just not fast enough!
  • I used to have this problem until I got my Lazer Blade helmet. Because of the retention system, the pad on the forehead is like a built in headband and goes nearly half way around the helmet.

Other makes I've used (Giro, LAS) always had a gap between the front pads which allowed sweat to run like a torrent over my sunglasses as soon as I tipped my head down.
    Wind. Cold. Rain. Pick two.
  • baileyjb
    baileyjb Posts: 41
    Thanks for that. Hadn't looked at the Lazer blade before.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Some helmets, Met for one i think use a gel pad at the front so sweat doesnt soak in then rain down your face in a waterfall of eye stinging agony.

Or you could just carry on with your current skid lid and now and again turn your head to the side and press the helmet into your bonce to squeeze out the sweatiness.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Fudgey wrote:
    Some helmets, Met for one i think use a gel pad at the front so sweat doesnt soak in then rain down your face in a waterfall of eye stinging agony.

Or you could just carry on with your current skid lid and now and again turn your head to the side and press the helmet into your bonce to squeeze out the sweatiness.

Hmm like a sweat rocket for those on your wheel
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Vaseline
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Halo sweat band under your helmet will stop any sweat running down in to your eyes. I used be forever having to take off my glasses the squeeze my helmet to get the sweat out and repeat numerous times on my ride.
    Halo sweat band and its like I'm no longer a sweaty sod.
  • My old Evade was a bad helmet for sweat dripping onto my shades or in my eyes . I have a Bontrager Ballista now. Much better but still get very salt stained chin straps
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    never had the problem with giro helmets ionos/aeon

with the kask protone it was a problem due to the shape of the front pad (really poor design ihmo), simply fixed by pulling the pad off and refitting with the centre higher than the edges
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,933
    Put some lip salve across your forehead just above your eyebrows!
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    It really all depends on how hot you run and how much you sweat. Personally, I use either a Specialized Prevail or Airnet and don't seem sweat excessively in either (and certainly not enough for it to run down into my eyes). That could be because I don't run very hot, just don't sweat as much as some or that the helmets are particularly well ventilated but I don't know which. What I do know is that I had a Boardman helmet a few years ago (I think it was the then version of the Pro Carbon) which I found practically unwearable in the summer because it got me so sweaty. I eventually got fed up with it and bought the Spesh Prevail - problem solved.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Only time I've found this was a problem was abroad so cycling in 30 degree heat plus. I did the Marmotte one year and by the end my eyes were stinging - last time I did it I bought a little Castelli sweat band from one the local shops near the start and it was fantastic I'd go with that solution - cap would work too but I find that a little hot in high temperatures.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    I have one of these https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/walz_wicking_cap-ID_66429 and it works wonders. Protects my noggin from the sun through the vents and stops the sweat/suncream running into my eyes.
  • Matthewfalle
    £9.85 for a hat! Blimey, you must be rolling in it.

Head (see what I did there?) to Prendas - much better value.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • gimpl
    £9.85 for a hat! Blimey, you must be rolling in it.

Head (see what I did there?) to Prendas - much better value.

Instead of a £7.50 cotton jobby that holds all the sweat in. :lol: I am certainly rolling in it if I can afford the extra £2.35. I might have to forego that piece of cake next time I stop for coffee. I wonder where else I can economise to help me out. Now I'm really sweating :mrgreen:
  • Matthewfalle
    oh dear oh dear oh dear .......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    I have a solution that has worked for me for many years.

I am nervous about writing it on here, but do so innocently and in the hope that it will be taken as one of several possible options.

I wear either a casquette or a woolly hat under my helmet, depending on the season.

I then ride off without putting the helmet on.

I do not suffer with sweat in my eyes.

Also.... worn beneath a helmet or without a helmet, a casquette offers the option of flipping the rim up or down, depending on the position of the sun in the sky and other meteorological variables.
  • gimpl
    oh dear oh dear oh dear .......

Indeed, indeed, indeed.....
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I winter I have a windproof skullcap underneath the helmet.

In summer a bandana or buff thing.

I do sweat like a piggywig.

Caps are a good option if its raining as the peak keeps the rain off your shades.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    I sweat like Julian Assange on a CIA flight to Sweden, and it's a casquette under the crash hat for me.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Debeli wrote:
    I have a solution that has worked for me for many years.

I am nervous about writing it on here, but do so innocently and in the hope that it will be taken as one of several possible options.

I wear either a casquette or a woolly hat under my helmet, depending on the season.

I then ride off without putting the helmet on.

I do not suffer with sweat in my eyes.

Also.... worn beneath a helmet or without a helmet, a casquette offers the option of flipping the rim up or down, depending on the position of the sun in the sky and other meteorological variables.

What? You don't wear a helmet? You're mad, you'll die to death.