Avid Stuck Brake Piston

mclaren1986
mclaren1986 Posts: 23
edited March 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have AVID Elixir 5 brakes, I know one option is to dump this crap and go for a shimano but I have spent a lot on my bike recently so want to try repair these first.

Basically on my rear caliper one of the pistons moves in and out freely. The other piston is stuck all the way into the caliper leaving an almost flat surface apart from the ridges on the piston, how do I get it to come out? It doesn't appear to move at all when I pull the brake lever.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    You can but seal kits for under a tenner, strip the whole calliper down and rebuild it
  • ade555
    ade555 Posts: 216
    When you pulling on lever as 1 of your piston is stuck all fuild force just the other one out, to get the other piston to move you need to block the good working piston in place with flat object and pull on lever, if is not seized to much this should force the piston to move then you have option to clean it, I had the same problem on my daughter bike with cheap clarks brakes.
  • Thanks I took advice and blocked moving piston. Stuck piston came and and had a slight chip on it. Assume that is why it didn't come out. Have a spare piston hopefully they will come out evenly now and not rub rotar after I've fixed.