New to road riding, feeling a bit all(some) of the gear, no idea!

2»

Comments

• Bokers
    Bokers Posts: 37
    Great information, thanks, and congrats on the progress so far!

I'll move my hands more and get down the gym more too.
    Fasted riding is on the list.

Cheers.
  • Bokers
    The miles are starting to add up over the weeks and I'm increasing the duration as per the training plan quite nicely.

Starting to enjoy it more too, which is good!
  • Joshgav
    Joshgav Posts: 158
    Good stuff. Do remember to bend your elbows when riding, it's easy to forget.
  • Bokers
    Good point, I am having to constantly remind myself at the moment. Also using the inner straight bar, just inside, seems quite comfortable for now.
  • Bokers
    So, my next problem... Well, two.

1) I really haven't got the hang of getting the shoes back in the clips when pushing off, so I end up doing 50m with one shoe in and trying to push with the other, any suggestions?

2) My saddle is pointing downwards, I wondered why I kept having to move back! I tried to loosen it and the soft Allen key bolts rounded instantly, without much power at all. Very frustrating. Any tips on getting them out?
  • Joshgav
    Joshgav Posts: 158
    Bokers wrote:

1) I really haven't got the hang of getting the shoes back in the clips when pushing off, so I end up doing 50m with one shoe in and trying to push with the other, any suggestions?

2) My saddle is pointing downwards, I wondered why I kept having to move back! I tried to loosen it and the soft Allen key bolts rounded instantly, without much power at all. Very frustrating. Any tips on getting them out?

1) Mostly just practice, learn to feel with your feet as to which way round the pedals are so you don't have to look, don't stop pedalling.

2) Take it to a bike shop methinks. Otherwise you may be drilling out the bolts then finding replacements which can be tricky.
  • Bokers
    Joshgav wrote:
    1) Mostly just practice, learn to feel with your feet as to which way round the pedals are so you don't have to look, don't stop pedalling.

2) Take it to a bike shop methinks. Otherwise you may be drilling out the bolts then finding replacements which can be tricky.

1) Cool, thank you.
    2) I feared as much, can anyone in Colchester recommend a shop?
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Joshgav wrote:
    Bokers wrote:

Agree with this. Keep at it and don't worry about 50 m with one foot out. I'd just say, try to put your foot in correctly the first time by doing it as slowly as you need to. Learn the right technique, then it will get quicker. Sounds like you're doing well enough.
  • Bokers
    Alex99 wrote:
    Agree with this. Keep at it and don't worry about 50 m with one foot out. I'd just say, try to put your foot in correctly the first time by doing it as slowly as you need to. Learn the right technique, then it will get quicker. Sounds like you're doing well enough.

Ok, cheers. What angle is ideal for the pedal to be when pushing (I assume forward and down?) into it?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    With the pedal - so long as you're moving you arent at risk - so I just give it a good push off with my foot in the pedal and then you have a decent time to locate the cleat and pedal and you're in.

If you don't get in on the first go - add another revolution and try again. trying to get in whilst pedalling is a lot trickier I find.

If you can - practice leaning on a fence or wall or something and get that left foot in again and again without looking down.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Bokers wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:

Ok, cheers. What angle is ideal for the pedal to be when pushing (I assume forward and down?) into it?

You've got me now. It's all kind of autopilot. I think what I do, is:

1) lightly push off with the foot on the ground and pedal one half rev with the foot that is in a pedal (from say, 10 o-clock to 6 o-clock and I'd be standing on the clipped-in foot to get a decent bit of force on it), which leaves the empty pedal at the top. Bike is now rolling and you're stood on your one clipped in foot which is at the bottom. Pause.
    2) engage the front of the cleat into the appropriate part of the pedal
    3) continue the pedal stroke with the newly partially engaged shoe/pedal. As you start the pedal stroke with the newly engaged foot, you can coax it into the pedal. Click.
    4) If it doesn't go in on the way down (which it should), when it gets to the bottom, make sure it's in.

Obviously, the shorter the pause, the quicker you can do step 2 and the more reliably you can do 3, the smoother the whole thing is. So, try to get enough speed from that first half pedal rev to give enough time to do step 2 reliably.
  • Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    edited May 2017
    Bokers wrote:
    and the first couple of rides my feet got a little numb. Is this just over tightening from me? Or something wrong with the shoe sizing?
    I found this as well when I first started using clipless. I swapped the insole for a thinner one, and that reduced the numbness a bit. But on longer rides I still had a problem.
    Then I started fiddling with the position of the cleats - I moved them as far back on the shoe as the could go, then moved it forwards until it was comfortable for a whole ride. That cured it for me.
    Then I moved to road pedals and had to start all over again :D

As for clipping in: Practice. You WILL have a few 'clipless moments' when you realise you've come to a stop and are still clipped in. You can probably reduce the tension on the clip to make it easier to get in/out - check the leaflet that came with the pedals. Make sure you're proficient at it before trying to get clipped in on a steep hill though. Or at least make sure there's some nice, soft nettles to fall into. Not that I've EVER done that... :oops:

The main thing is: Does the ride put a smile on your face? (OK, sometimes a grimace) Then you're doing it right :mrgreen:
  • Bokers
    Fenix wrote:
    If you can - practice leaning on a fence or wall or something and get that left foot in again and again without looking down.

Thanks, that all makes sense. I'm out on the bike tomorrow, I'll get some practice in.
  • Bokers
    Alex99 wrote:
    Obviously, the shorter the pause, the quicker you can do step 2 and the more reliably you can do 3, the smoother the whole thing is. So, try to get enough speed from that first half pedal rev to give enough time to do step 2 reliably.

Brilliant, cheers. I'll practice this tomorrow.
  • Bokers
    Guanajuato wrote:
    The main thing is: Does the ride put a smile on your face? (OK, sometimes a grimace) Then you're doing it right :mrgreen:

Ah, I'm glad it's not just me, not glad really, it's not a great feeling is it haha.
    I found exactly the same, when aligned better it's gone. I've had a couple of smaller repeats but then re-adjusted and it's all good.

It actually does. I got 15 miles in yesterday with some bigger/steeper hills in an hour and it was tough but good fun.

Enjoying the exploratory side too, I'm just using the road signs and turning back half way.
  • Bokers wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:

https://youtu.be/RTdHBUDgI_4
  • Bokers

Love some GCN, thank you.
  • Bokers
    Managed to get up to 30 miles on Sunday.
    Somewhat unplanned and thus underprepared, I made it.

No enough food/water etc is the first lesson.
    Second is it's much more fun riding with people. I tagged along to another chap for the first time and it made it easier drafting for the last few miles. Nothing new to you lot, but fun for the first time for me.

Had a bike fit, can't endorse getting one done enough now, made such a difference.

Keep cracking on and upping the pace or distance thanks to all your tips :)
  • wildpig
    wildpig Posts: 39
    As a new member, I enjoyed this thread. Lots of good tips. Thanks!
  • Bokers
    wildpig wrote:
    As a new member, I enjoyed this thread. Lots of good tips. Thanks!

Really glad to hear that! :-)
  • Bokers
    So, I did the Crafted Classique in Ipswich last weekend.

I had signed up to do the 55k route and packed food/water accordingly...

I got chatting to a few people while riding and managed to completely miss the split for the shortest route.
    When I checked my phone I was 62k into my 55 ride hahah. So, I carried on to the next split, opting for 100k not 100miles!
    Luckily I wasn't far from the last rest stop so after a lot of water, bananas and some gels, I got back on the bike and crawled the last 30k back to the finish.

So, it didn't go to plan, but I've now done my first 100k!

I was in bits after, but it was totally worth it.

I'll be going out to 50-75k more often now as that wasn't too bad and I'm sure another 100 (planned this time!) is on the cards too.