Road Tyres with Tan Sidewalls

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
Been contemplating a pair of clincher Specialized Turbo tyres with the tan sidewalls in 24c for the race bike but they are very pricey at £50 a pop, they do get rave reviews but £100 for a pair of tyres is a little out of my budget at the moment.

So this got me thinking about what else is out there that will be good for racing on?

Wiggle to the Veloflex Master 25c for a reasonable price but apparently puncture protection is pretty bad, and ideally I would like to be able to finish the race when using them.

What else should I be looking at that has a natural/tan sidewall?
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Corsa G+ £35 each-ish if you shop around. Very good they are too although keeping the tan sidewall clean is a mare.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yeah the Corsa's are a lovely lovely tyre. Very smooth and probably about as good as it gets for a clincher. They are not durable though so mileage is limited and they don't offer a load of puncture protection but they are quick. As above, my retro bike has some and the tan walls are not really tan and haven't been for some time after riding on some mucky lanes when caught out by the odd deluge.
  • JesseD
    £35 a tyre is more like it, just read a review of them as well and they seem to fair well as a race tyre which is what they will be used for 90% of the time with some nice weather training rides as well.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    The only down side I'd say is they can be difficult to fit on certain rims.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I'm a fan of the Corsa G+. I've had them on the summer bike all last summer, had 1 flat over the summer. Not sure of the mileage but I'd say at least 2000 miles (hard to say for sure due to different wheels/tyre combo), I'll be using the same pair from Mid-April onwards. I liked them so much I put the 28c Corsa G+ on the winter bike, been running them since January, have done about 1000 miles and again just the single puncture.
    Very smooth rolling tyre, look good and not overly expensive - think I paid about £60 for the pair but prices seem to have gone up since then, Mantel have them for £34 a tyre.
    For a tan side wall clincher to race on (especially crits around a circuit) then you probably can't beat them. That said I'm also going to get a set of Michelin Power Comp to race on and keep the G+ for my good wheels. Can save a full 1 watt and about 60 grams with the Power Comp!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Veloflex Master are fine - I'd expect them to be similar puncture protection wise as the Vittoria Corsas. Possibly easier to put on - the Vittoria Corsas I have are undersized in diameter and impossible to put on a shallow rim wheel. On the other hand, the construction of the Masters means they come out of the box flat and are tricky to coax into shape first time you put them on.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • JesseD
    w00dster wrote:
    That said I'm also going to get a set of Michelin Power Comp to race on and keep the G+ for my good wheels. Can save a full 1 watt and about 60 grams with the Power Comp!

Ah but surely looking pro is worth at least another 10 watts? :lol:
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974
    Rolf F wrote:
    Veloflex Master are fine - I'd expect them to be similar puncture protection wise as the Vittoria Corsas. Possibly easier to put on - the Vittoria Corsas I have are undersized in diameter and impossible to put on a shallow rim wheel. On the other hand, the construction of the Masters means they come out of the box flat and are tricky to coax into shape first time you put them on.
    They are certainly similar to Vittoria Paves in my experience, they do have a strange shape initially, and they are a nightmare to keep tan. I gave up on tan and have settled on black Paves. (I have a stock).
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Another alternative would be the Conti Grand Prix Classic - not the classic 'tan' sidewall, but the classic Conti 'brown' sidewall.
  • JesseD
    Looks like I am pushing the pro look back a month or 2 after my Jawbreakers flew off my helmet last night going down a hill and into the path of an oncoming BMW driver, safe to say there wasnt much left of them afterwards :(

Anyone recommend somewhere I can get new Oakleys cheap?
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Contact Oakley. I know several people, me included, who've got massively discounted replacement frames from them after a crash or damage. I got a replacement Flak Jacket frame for £35.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Ive been running conti classics over winter on mine, cant fault them really, same tread as the old contis.
    It is more a brown wall though as the brown sections are pretty transparent so a black inner tube makes them dark an the pink latex ones im using makes them paler.

In terms of Oakleys if you retrieved the remains they used to do a crash replacement service.