Shimano 105 chainset 5700 vs 5800 compatibility

peteco
peteco Posts: 184
edited March 2017 in Workshop
Quick question - is there any reason why a 105 5700 double chainset will not work with 5800 shifters, rear and front derailleurs and 11 speed chain ?

The reason for asking is that I am building a new bike (with 5800), but my powermeter is only compatible with 5 bolt chainrings.

Thanks,

Pete

Comments

• Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    Will be no noticeable difference. Have the same set up and it works fine.
  • peteco
    peteco Posts: 184
    Thanks - that's good to know.

Pete
  • My only concern would be that when I "converted" to 11 speed, the new chain did not like the old outer chainring (FSA 10 Speed) and I had to replace it with an 11s version. Same 110 BCD but the noise coming from the outer chain running a narrower 11s chain was too much to ignore.

T
  • My only concern would be that when I "converted" to 11 speed, the new chain did not like the old outer chainring (FSA 10 Speed) and I had to replace it with an 11s version. Same 110 BCD but the noise coming from the outer chain running a narrower 11s chain was too much to ignore.

T

This doesn't make sense. An 11 speed chain has the same internal-width as a 10 speed chain, it's the outer-width which is different. You may experience some very, very slight reduction in shifting performance, but it shouldn't be any noisier. That's more likely a case of running a new chain and cassette on an old, worn chainring.