When to grease, when to threadlock?

jamski
jamski Posts: 737
edited March 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I need to reattach the chainring next week, which got me thinking, grease or threadlock. They undid really nicely. Firm but manageable, and I didn't spot any blue threadlock on them. They are a bit gritty now so want to probably degrease before I reattach, but should I grease them, or threadlock?

Same with jockeywheels. I removed a few weeks ago for a good clean, but didn't threadlock them. Thinking I probably should?
Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two

Comments

• demelitia
    demelitia Posts: 59
    I've always gone for copperslip on chainring bolts which aren't really subject to excessive 'vibration' for want of a better phrase and i've never had an issue. Threadlock can often throw off torque readings if you bother taking notice of them, unless the manufacturer factors them in to their torque specs. Even then, there's so many different types of threadlock its always going to be an estimation.
    Take in to account if you're greasing the bolts you're changing the friction on the threads too. It might end up being too easy to tighten them up meaning you overstretch them.
    Jockey wheel bolts usually come with threadlock on them so i've always replaced like for like. Loctite 243 will do you.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I was always made to believe to thread lock chain ring bolts but a mate who's been riding for more years than me said to grease them.

I've recently fitted a new oval ring to try out and thought I'd try grease the bolts. So far so good nothing lose yet.

I used assembly anti seize grease on them if that makes any difference.